• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Neon Tube Amperage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Digital Pimp

hey all, i have a Blue neon tube and i want to know if anyone has any idea on how many amps it draws. i have a mulitmeter but i'm not sure how to test amps, i want to hook the neon to my Digital Doc, and the digidoc can handle a maximum of 1amp.

if someone has an idea on the amperage or can give me a hand finding it out please let me know.

Thanks, Digital

KILLorBE

A 10" Neon draws about 0.4A (I could be wrong).
But you could measure it yourself, Plug one of the probes (black) into the COM of your Multimeter, and the other probe (red) into one of the Amp Ports (Depends on your multimeter, but most have 2 ports, 1 Unfused port with a Max. of 10 or 20A, and 1 port which is fused and usually has a Max. of 2 or 4A (could say 2000 or 4000mA)).
Then put the dial in the right position, and hook it up like I've drawn in the picture.
MeasAmps.jpg

Hope that was clear enough, If not feel free to ask.

KILLorBE

Digital Pimp said:
just tested it with the 10a option. i got 0.022a max so that's 200ma correct?

Digital
That would be 22mA, If you use a lower setting you'll get more accurate results, but you should be fine.

BTW: what size is that neon? I always thought they draw more than a CC (My 12" blue CC draws ~60mA).

Ghost68

well if its a walmart neon light it will run fine... i run a neon and a string of el wire off of my digidoc and havn't had a problem so far (its been over 6 months with almost constant use...)

cwb27

Neon tubes have transformers, steps up the voltage nice 'n high but brings down your current (amps).

Neat thing I did once, took an old transformer for a large neon sign, rigged up 2 coat hangers in a V shape on each terminal. If your voltage is high enough, you'll get an arc that travels up the hangers, breaks at the top then starts again at the bottom.

OP
Digital Pimp

Digital Pimp

the neon is 12" it origionally was for a car, i just cut off the adapter.

cwd27, those things look really cool, i might want to set one up one day.

Digital