• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

.net framework woes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UltraTaco

Decided to update garmin.

please download Garmin express
okay.
downloading framework 4.5
fine.
download and install successful
Great! Launching app!
error. Please install .net 4.0
well I have already latest 4.5, but okay.

downloaded 4.0 installer from microsoft..
you cannot install this update, see reasons below:
-you have latest 4.5 update already installed

me: :mad: fine!

Going back to garmin; launching..

you do not have 4.0 .net framework installed.
BUT YOU YOURSELF INSTALLED 4.5!!! :bang head

please install 4.0 .net framework
me::rain::rolleyes:

Who would even do such a thing?! Why?! : bang head

I bought DeLorme Street Atlas 2015 for my Tablet PC with a ublox7 gps chip. Works great. A year later they literally closed their doors with NO notice at all after apparently being bought out by Garmin. Guess what Garmin did? They tossed the delorme pc software in the trash and basically said if you want a gps device you must buy one of ours. Garmin has NOTHING for pc's that ship with gps chips and took the software maker that did, they bought out, and tossed that in the gutter. I found a software maker that does make GPS software for pc's called Land (TwoNav.com) and purchased it. Unbelievably it is the ONLY gps software anywhere that is priced for the consumer that works on a pc and is actually based out of Spain of all places. Everyone has been rerouted to googles bs (**** google) or some handheld nonsense like garmin makes. I refuse to use google maps (OSmand only) and garmin is something I will never buy ever for any purpose (I'll use an actual map and compass before I use garmin). Twonav also has some nice handhelds but I simply don't need one.
I've got .net 4.8 on my tablet and it looks to be uninstallable though I haven't tried. Just uninstall .net completely and then run the 4.0. Garmin sucks imo but if it aint broke as they say.

That's a pretty bad move on garmin for screwing you over, man. Perhaps it was their original intent to get rid of competition by buying them out and dumping it immediately afterwards.

I had to uninstall 4.5, then installed 4.0, and it told me after that, I need 4.5.2. What a genius run around.:rolleyes: now it finally works.

Ps- I remember those days when navigating street atlas into Boston for biometrics. Many moons ago when just moved to the states and needed to get green card. Good times.

Yeah that was their intent. If garmin was worth spending money on they would also provide map software for the few pc's that still have gps. They think their **** move will force people to buy their products. Oh contraire. Just the opposite. Now I shun them. DeLorme is not any better and their soft is still installed. Linux however has Viking which does work with the ublox7 chip in my tablet but I can't put linux on it yet as I have stuff that requires windows atm. When my nas is configured to run vm's properly I should be able to run a windows one so that I can put linux on on my tablet and finally and completely leave MS in the dust (an eternally virtual jail). Glad you got it working. Does this mean if you update .net garmin breaks again? It is at 4.8 now.

I don't think I want to find out. Maybe if 4.0 and 4.5.2 were already installed, they leave a flag behind and putting newer .net won't break things anymore? I've seen this same scenario before, while trying to get another software running, which also required older framework to start up. It was a while back, so I dont even remember which one it was.

Btw, garmin Express updater fckd up and threw an error somewhere in the middle of update. It is a big deal when you have slow internet and trying to update 5GB map. I said screw it, disconnected everything at 1am and went to sleep.:rain:

Since garmin updater is useless now, I might throw in 4.8 on top and see what happens..

That, imo, is the exact problem with garmin. In order to use one of their handhelds, you are also forced to use a pc with proprietary software installed just in order to update some stupid files on the device itself. If they were honest, it would be as simple as a few files or whatever you grab off their site and then simply port over to device. Now everything hinges on the 3rd party (middleman) software to function properly. I assume everything is updated lol. Hope you get em workin.
With Osmand, it updates monthly and is totally free requiring no pc or anything to update. Works on any android device and if you change devices you can simply copy a folder over and be completely up to date without any hassle. I have a sonim xp8 smartphone which is brand new (fully rugged), but I borked it by removing the default keyboard and can't flash it to fix it. As it's encrypted, I therefore can't boot into it because my replacement keyboard was not installed to system. Nice paperweight though. And of course sonim does nothing to help at all.
It's truly amazing how well osmand works and yet there is no windows or linux port. TwoNav is the only company I would buy a handheld from, if I were needin one that is.
Of course if you were to buy a really rugged smartphone you could simply use osmand and be done with garmin's bs. They can be had pretty easily these days and don't need to be top of the line blazing fast. I use an older acer tablet in my car with osmand. It runs droid 442 and gets the same updates my oneplus does. Works perfect and is 7in.

Last edited:
Well, garmin is still not updated. Who knows, it might have just timed out because of slow internet, I dunno, man. Maybe I'll just run out to a library amd try there some time.
I also see traffic receiver is not finding any traffic connections. It almost feels like "lifetime maps and traffic" is only lifetime of device; once they drop it into legacy status, you're on your own and good luck.

GPS still works and all, but going into busy city with ongoing construction may give you trouble if road got changed recently.

Osmand's gui is excellent btw. Has all the bells and whistles. If you have a data plan the internet search for addresses usually works pretty dern well now. It's not google of course, so occasionally it will just give you a general 'close to' address which can be annoying, but all in all I would not switch to google maps for money.
I'll bet garmin dropped kicked you if they felt it was time for you to upgrade. Hopefully not but considering how they did delorme I would not doubt it for a second. I doubt your internet connection is the problem. It was super irritating to have payed into delorme and then almost immediately they just fell off a cliff (I never received a single update). Not surprising though as any maps I downloaded onto my pc that I was paying for extra, the connection was so slow I actually called them to ask what the problem was. They said just try logging in again. Lames. Good riddance.

Back