• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Netgear Wireless Router + DSL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhatKirby

My gf is on DSL where she lives. Her connection is the very basic and cheapest DSL connection and she wants to use a Netgear 54Mbps wireless G router. Problem is that when she uses the router, her occasionally just gets really slow, and it even disconnects altogether from the internet (including those who are running through a cat5 cable). Wireless signal from the router is always excellent so I'm guessing that's not the problem. What could be the problem here?

Does recycling the router fix the internet connection right away? If it happens frequently, does it go away when using just the modem?

One thing you can try is make sure the firmware is updated to the latest version and then do a factory reset. This can fix many issues that are router related.

If you know it isn't the ISP or modem and updating and factory resetting the router does not fix it, then the router may just be going out or not able to handle all the traffic on it.

I'm here right now at my gf's place so I will try to monitor the situation and see if I can get it to reproduce the problem and then figure out what it is.

The guy at my local store said he gets complaints about Netgear equipment all the time. I would bet it is the hardware.

Netgear equipment has always been really hit or miss for me. On the cheaper end of things I'd give it a go with Linksys or Asus if either is an option for you.

Back