• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

netmeeting not working after install a router....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LandShark

Super Shark Moderator
after i've installed a router and networked his 2 home computer together to share his cable line, he's not longer able to use netmeeting anymore?!! any idea guys?? do i have to setup like forward certain port to his computer?? so, i'll need to set his computer a stats ip then, right??

sorry, i don't use netmeeting, so, i have no clue....:eh?:

alrox

that router is probably doing NAT(you can check by looking at the IP of his machine. if it's 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x or 172.16-31.x.x it is NAT).

I think netmeeting is for direct connect only, public internet IP<->public internet IP. To get it working with NAT you'll probably need to forward ports on the router to his computer's IP. I'm sure either microsoft or his router manuf. has instructions to forward ports.

If NAT is not in use, then the firewall is most likely blocking the ports that netmeeting uses. go into the security section of the router's webpage and unblock the necessary ports.

All of this is just a guess as I dont use netmeeting either nor do I own a commercial router, but that's the way it should work.

alrox

a 2 second search on google turned up this.
LandShark said:
well, the question is, which port should i forward to his machine?? :rolleyes: and that means i'll have to give his machine a statis ip then??

roYal

LandShark said:
well, the question is, which port should i forward to his machine?? :rolleyes: and that means i'll have to give his machine a statis ip then??

giving it a static ip wihtout leasing a static ip from your isp wont help at all. That's the purpose of NAT, so you don't have to do it. The reason cause netmeeting isn't working, isn't because of NAT (your internal ip) is for your lan, you'll still use the same public ip in netmeeting so that wouldn't be the cause.

Like alrox said, you'll need to port forward your port to your router. Your router should've came with some software that'll allow you to perform that function. A lot of browswers can be configured through your browser also. I highly suggest you upgrade your router's firmware before port forwarding.

Good Luck getting NetMeeting to work.

Kingslayer

Ok. For one, NetMeeting is no longer direct connect. Microsoft has totally screwed up Netmeeting AND MSN Messenger. If you use MSN Messenger you're going to notice that, no matter how many ports you opened, you can't do voice or video on msn messenger.

NetMeeting and MSN Messenger can only run on what is referred to as Universal Plug and Play NAT. Basic NAT says that any traffic coming from this designated port, goes to this location. Now, NetMeeting uses Plug and Play NAT. The program switches from port to port as it feels necessary. And seeing as you don't know which port in the 65,000+ ports available to you it's using, normal NAT is worthless.

SO, yes, it's not working because of NAT, kinda. Your router doesn't support Universal Plug and Play NAT. Most cheap broadband aimed routers don't. If it don't say Cisco on it, it doesn't support UPnP NAT.

Forwarding one port isn't going to solve the problem. You will be able to do voice and file transfers only. You won't be able to do voice and video.

About the only thing that you can do to get around this, is to get a router that will let you designate a DMZ computer. That is the only way you'll get these types of programs working.

Microsoft really blew it on this as far as I'm concerned, and AFAIK, have no intention of correcting this issue. Yahoo Messenger will work fine behind a router for voice and video if you open the proper ports (only 2), and there are other programs that don't do this port hopping. But Microsoft uses it. There is also another stigmata about the UPnP NAT. Only one machine can have it. If both routers do UPnP NAT, for some reason.

Gotta love Microsoft

OP
LandShark

LandShark

Super Shark Moderator
yeah, that's what i'm thinking. setting up his machine as DMZ. i know his Linksys router has this function.

btw, while we are at it, how 'bout ICQ? i know it works fine behind a router/firewall. however, i just couldn't send/receive files from others. is it also router problem? or else?

Kingslayer

I haven't used ICQ in about 3 years so I'm not positive, but I would image that they have a port or range of ports that will need opened on the router in order to do file transfers.

Don't open an entire range though. If it wants a range it's going to be for the same reason MSN Messenger does. MSN messenger can support up to 10 simultaneous downloads, and needs ten ports open to do this. How many times have you dont this, probably never...just open one.

Kingslayer

I haven't used ICQ in about 3 years so I'm not positive, but I would image that they have a port or range of ports that will need opened on the router in order to do file transfers.

Don't open an entire range though. If it wants a range it's going to be for the same reason MSN Messenger does. MSN messenger can support up to 10 simultaneous downloads, and needs ten ports open to do this. How many times have you dont this, probably never...just open one.