• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Network cable unplugged! Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kbird

Network set up. Two XP machines, one has Linksys NC100 and the other has a Netgear pci 314 I think:) it is very old. My router is a netgear 314 standard 4 port with wireless connection. For some reason every 3 to 5 minutes I get a network cable unplugged message on the computer with the NC100 the host never gives me this message. I've checked my cable connections, rebooted cable modem and router. I use to have the MA101 wireless on the um user machine and it really sucked so I went out and got a new NC100 pci nic, this is when my trouble started. I bought a high quality cable with the new NC100 card.

Thanks

Oswalden

Registered
...I'd say start swapping things out. It is more then possible that you got a bad cable. Also swap out the new NIC. It's a physical connectivity issue.

OP
K

Kbird

That was my next step, thank you for your reply. One more question I've seen references to different types of cable. Do you buy specific cable when you don't use a router, and one you use with a router?

Thanks

WyrmMaster

I'm a little teapot Senior
It doesnt have to be a physical connection issue. I had this same problem (or a similar one with the saem error) when i was using a netgear card in my system, because my board has a conflict with that card. Basically it worked perfectly on dhcp, but if it was using a static IP it kept saying network cable unpluged. That was a pain to troubleshoot. Try swapping the network card between the computers, see if that helps.

OP
K

Kbird

I will try that this weekend thanks for that suggestion. I just checked my cable and it says CAT-5e so at least I know my cable is the right one.

:D

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
It could also be a 'loose' NIC, where the RJ45 plug is loose.. I know some onboard NICs that are prone to this problem.

You shouldn't overlook bad cable/bad ports. -- When the computer reports a disconnected cable, check what the switch says.. if the link-lights are still on there, and on the NIC, then it is either a bad NIC, or bad Drivers. If the link actually dies, try plugging into a different port in the switch, or replace the cable.

You can also try switching PCI slots.. some slots use shared resources, and some cards don't like that.

stompah

Deep Pain Senior Member
My switch will reset itself every time the a/c compressor turns on. Does that happen to you? Are u maxing out the wiring for ur room?

Just another thing to think about. The previous post stated almost the same thing. The lights will flash.

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
stompah said:
My switch will reset itself every time the a/c compressor turns on. Does that happen to you? Are u maxing out the wiring for ur room?

Just another thing to think about. The previous post stated almost the same thing. The lights will flash.

LOL! :D:D:D
My old residence room doesn't like my setup:
2 computers
2 monitors
2 lights
microwave

It pops the fuse :mad:.. my UPS gets a workout though.... food or computers.. hmm..
if you sub microwave for toaster or TV and it'd still pop the fuse. I had to rotate the appliances :rolleyes: Luckily the circuit breakers were just outside my room..