• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Network card fail?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Exige

So, some friends and I were wondering where another one of our friends went, he's been offline for a while, so I called him up today to find out he has no internet. And that his computer is the only computer in the house with no internet. I quickly stated, "That's fixable you know..." So these are the steps we took.

1. Restarted the network (Router/Modem.) -Nothing.
2. Swapped CAT Cables. -Nothing.
3. Swapped CAT Cables again. -Nothing. (Restarted the computer between swapping CAT cables each time after discovering did not work, still didn't.)
4. He system restored to a week ago nothing happened.

Now, his network isn't even showing up. I told him to go to the device manager, guess what? No network card is showing up there now.

So, I'm having him run a scan now just in case any possible viruses could be causing this. After that, if it doesn't work I'm going to have him reformat, then go buy a new Network Card, and then possibly a new motherboard after that.

The only reason I'm doing that is because this is the extent of my knowledge for this area. I'm just checking to see if anyone has any better advice so we don't have to go to such drastic measures, which I'm almost certain he doesn't... I just don't know what to do.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: He's using Windows XP.

OP
Exige

Exige

If it is a PCI network card, move it to a different PCI slot. If it is onboard, then it may be bad. Could be a faulty mobo (Exploding Caps).

Yes, it's onboard. This is what I was thinking, do you think the whole motherboard will be on it's way out next, if this is the case? The motherboard is actually only a few months old so this is disappointing, he doesn't know much about computers. All I got out of it was that it has an AM3 socket and he bought it around July.

Rider200

You have done most of the troubleshooting steps I would have done.

There isn't any reason to format the hard drive and reinstall the OS unless you know by another means that the NIC is working. Using a different NIC will tell you which way to go.

A network card for a slot isn't that expensive and a spare is always nice to have. Why not buy one and try it in a slot unless a visual inspection shows a damaged mother board.

Also if the motherboard is only a couple of months old then he could RMA it back to the manufacture if the onboard NIC has died.

This doesn't bode well for the motherboard though, if the NIC went out in two-three months then I would suggest a different motherboard maybe manufacuter.

MHO...