• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Network Card Problem!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Demont

firstly, im on win2k pro, and im trying to get a linksys LNE100TX network card to work. ok, my old network card was flaking out so i tried to install a new one and i keep getting errors with it. When i try to install the drivers once its "finished" it tells me "An error occured duing the installation of the device. The INF or the device information set or element does not match the specified install class." So then when i check on the network card in device manager it says "Reinstall drivers for this device. (Code 18)." So i try to reinstall and then it gives me. "The device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)." So then if i try to restart and check the card in device manager again it says "This device is not working properly because windows cannot load the drivers required for the device. (Code 31)." and it tells me to check the troubleshooter (which tells me nothing). This whole thing happens with any network card, even the one i origionally had in there. ive tried repairing windows and reinstalling all drivers on the pci bus. as well as a few other things...

Does anyone know what to do here??

(im at a lan party right now, this sucks!)

gone_fishin

BandSaw King
Uninstall all drivers, shut down, remove any network cards, then boot up. Go into device manager and make sure no device is listed for network cards. Shut down, boot up in safe mode and check device manager for any legacy devices listed and delete them if there is. Shut down, install card, boot up and see if a driver installs and works. That would be my first try, after that if it doesn't work, I'd be as stuck as you are now:(

nut581

try to install the NIC in another PCI slot; your current PCI slot probably shares resources with another device in your comp.. this happens a lot to me, and switching the peripheral card should solve the problem :) ..

I had exact problem when installing my soundcard in PCI slot 1, it turned out that my mobo slot 1 shares the same IRQ w/ slot 5 .. so I switched the card to slot 4 and it installed flawlessly :)

hope this helps

ronin1967

Sounds like a PCI conflict, try installing the NIC in a different slot. There is also a good chance that your motherboard and the NIC are not compatible. Has to do with the way the motherboard handles PCI sharing.

nut581

gone_fishin: i knew :) .. i read his post, but that's what's weird with both Win2K and XP; a slightest change on the registry could change everything. I recently moved my whole rig from senfu overclocking house to a normal case, and didn't change nothing, but XP won't load on the new case w/ exact same setting just because I disconected all peripherals and cables, then reconnect them back just like before ... fresh install was the only thing that worked for me .. still don't know why, but this happens.

gone_fishin

BandSaw King
That makes no sense. When the power is off, windows is non-functional. Moving from one case to another is not something configurable to windows or detectable. You should be able to lay the parts out on a table and hook em up to work after taking it out of a case.

nut581

gone_fishin: that's why i named it "weird" problem .. it makes no sense, but it did happen on me, and don't ask me how come .. i can't answer that either :) .. it just happened .. luckily had 2 hard-drives, 1 for data and the other for file system, so all my important data were not lost.

now there r some people asking about their new PSUs (some r good brands and over 400 wattage) all of a sudden have problems and their PCs start to restart itself ... they don't change nothing .. and they don't understand :) ... probably the same thing happened to my PC (but it wasn't the PSU though, coz' the problem soon disappeared after a fresh install)

random restart thread 1
random restart thread 2

I agree with the switch pci slots. Different card might react diferently to the same slot. I assume you have the latest driver of the correct type.
As cheap as NICs are I wouldn't waste too much time diagnosing before getting a different card.

Kingslayer

Demont said:

Does anyone know what to do here??

Yes. Put your CPU back at stock speeds and see if it will install. Your PCI bus may be too much for that card to handle. 138 isn't that bad, if that's the machine you have it on, but you never know.

OP
Demont

Demont

ok thanks for trying but i still got nothing, ive already done most of the suggestions here. ive even now tried a usb network adapter, still no luck. :| ive tried like 4 different cards, and in all the pci slots, and all non-o/ced and everything... this is a software problem, not hardware. and by software, i mean windows. :D so how do i find out what the problem is in the registry or whatever? or how can i bring it all back to default? failing that, how can i reinstall windows on my windows partition and still keep all the programs on my other partition functioning without transferring the messed up registry?

[edit] could it be something in the services part of admin tools?

Demont said:
ok thanks for trying but i still got nothing, ive already done most of the suggestions here. ive even now tried a usb network adapter, still no luck. :| ive tried like 4 different cards, and in all the pci slots, and all non-o/ced and everything... this is a software problem, not hardware. and by software, i mean windows. :D so how do i find out what the problem is in the registry or whatever? or how can i bring it all back to default? failing that, how can i reinstall windows on my windows partition and still keep all the programs on my other partition functioning without transferring the messed up registry?
[edit] could it be something in the services part of admin tools?

Are you saying that loading the drivers on 4 diferent NICs gets an error message.

If you have a driver conflict it may be difficult to identify and remove the one errant fille to be removed. I have done it before but it can take a while.
You can use the 2000 cd and when it identifies the windows partition you can let it repair it. But on 2000 it will not clear out all of the system32 folder. The file will likely still be there and cause the problem. If you reload the original card you had and reload its drivers you can copy the names of any drivers files loaded, then manually remove any trace of the card drivers before you try to reload another card.

OP
Demont

Demont

64026402 said:

Are you saying that loading the drivers on 4 diferent NICs gets an error message.

If you have a driver conflict it may be difficult to identify and remove the one errant fille to be removed. I have done it before but it can take a while.
You can use the 2000 cd and when it identifies the windows partition you can let it repair it. But on 2000 it will not clear out all of the system32 folder. The file will likely still be there and cause the problem. If you reload the original card you had and reload its drivers you can copy the names of any drivers files loaded, then manually remove any trace of the card drivers before you try to reload another card.

no this problem started when i replaced one card with another. the origional card even has the same problem when i tried to put it back in. then i tested the other cards to make sure.
i already did try to repair but i will try the drivers thing you mentioned.

btw, to the mod who moved this thread, its a windows/driver problem, not a networking problem, so move it back. :|

cw823

Honeybadger Moderator
Demont said:

no this problem started when i replaced one card with another. the origional card even has the same problem when i tried to put it back in. then i tested the other cards to make sure.
i already did try to repair but i will try the drivers thing you mentioned.

btw, to the mod who moved this thread, its a windows/driver problem, not a networking problem, so move it back. :|

It's actually a networking/NIC problem, so it can stay here. Either way....you're getting good response. :rolleyes:

Jon

Just Another Retired Moderator
Have you tried booting into safe mode with networking and checked if there is more than one device under network adapters? I'd delete anything that show up in there and try reinstalling the card again.

OP
Demont

Demont

the original card was a realtek, then the linksys, then i tried some card from my friend that had a dolphin on the box (unidentified) :D then a different linksys i think, and also a usb linksys.

i did try safemode without networking on, i guess i will try it but should that make a difference with this problem?

OP
Demont

Demont

update - i just bit the bullet and reinstalled windows, thankfully its not too big of a deal cause i have it on a seperate partition, but its still annoying. :mad:

thanks anyway all :p

Demont said:
update - i just bit the bullet and reinstalled windows, thankfully its not too big of a deal cause i have it on a seperate partition, but its still annoying. :mad:

thanks anyway all :p

It is a pain. If you move to Windows XP it does a reload on it repair and will usually fix this problem like a clean install but still keep the programs working.
The windows 2000 repair doesn't work a lot of times with this kind of a driver problem.

OP
Demont

Demont

64026402 said:

It is a pain. If you move to Windows XP it does a reload on it repair and will usually fix this problem like a clean install but still keep the programs working.
The windows 2000 repair doesn't work a lot of times with this kind of a driver problem.

xp has more features, but only a few that i would actually use. the vast amount of bs and ram hogging that xp does is enough to keep me away. oh yeah, two words, SEARCH PUPPY.