• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Network gurus here's a real poser for you

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Samildanach

Registered
Hello to all you people out there !! As always my pc has decided to give me the usual 24 hour grief before playing nice again. :)

Right then setup is as such:

My PC (Windows xp) doubles as the internet server for a house of 5 pcs all linked up. I have two NICs - both realtek RTL8029AS chips. One is Generic and the other a Dlink.

The dlink is attached to my cable modem and the generic is attached to switching hub that connects to another pc on the same floor and then upstairs to another hub that splits between 3 other pcs.

3 other pcs run on windows XP, and the other on ME. The only network protocols installed are 'TCP/IP', 'file sharing' & 'client for microsoft networks'.

The problem is not really a problem but a nuisance. All the other pcs in the house can connect to the internet no probs. They can also see each other instantly when you "View workgroup computers" in 'my network places'.

My pc, which is the fastest in the house, on the otherhand takes absolute ages to find the other pcs on the workgroup. Accessing the internet isn't a problem though.

I've disabled the registry key that scans for scheduled tasks before showing the other pcs in the workgroup. All the pcs have static addresses and are members of the same workgroup.

Does anyone have any idea why this is the case. My PC is an Athlon [email protected]+/Geforce3 Ti200/512MBDDR and is by far the fastest in the house and it pains me that is seems so slow. :rolleyes:

By the way it wasn't always like this. Only until recently has this occurred. I bought myself i window kit & light to show off my water cooling setup. So like any respectable modder I had to take everything out to clean it & make it nice and spiffy looking. :cool:

Anyways as soon as I put it all back (identically) looking very nice I might add, boom this happens and I've tried everything the whole day but to no avail. Anybody that can point fingers for me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks fellas.

Dark Disciple

I would have voted that it was a hop issue between the hubs, but you said that you had another rig on the hub w/ yours.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

DDR-PIII

Disabled
if it aint broken you arent trying hard enough lol :) j/k.. sometimes it just takes a bit to show the PC's :/

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
Does it always take the extra time to view other computers, or just sometimes?

The issue may involve the fact that your pc is proxying for the whole house: looks for network shares on both nics before giving results.

I have been frustrated by XP's networking a few times, and really dislike ICS; it screwed up my network when I tried it, and gave a bunch of problems at work as well.

A gateway router is more money, but might fix the problem, and help to make your network a bit more secure.

Last edited:
OP
S

Samildanach

Registered
Rogerdugans, thanks for the tip. It takes time to view the other computers everytime now. I suppose it's possible that it looks for network shares on both nics. That could explain it. Any ideas how to make to look only on one?

Thanks again

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
No idea, I'm afraid: I kind of avoid all the wizards and ICS since they don't like to allow user interaction- they take the control and don't let me have it....somehow that bugs me ;)

Two other ways to look for tips though: google for ICS problems, and check out the MS Knowledge Base- both can be very good ways to find info.

Good luck, man, and if/when you find a fix don't forget to post it in here for future readers:D

Kingslayer

Sounds like an account problem. It's hanging on the authentication. Make sure you have accounts for all the other computer in all the XP machines. See if that helps. Especially for that ME machine, because that is, more than likely, what is slowing you down.

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
rogerdugans said:
The issue may involve the fact that your pc is proxying for the whole house: looks for network shares on both nics before giving results.

I agree with rogerdugans. You may be able to speed it up by disabling the "file sharing" from the internet's nic.
IE:

DLINK (connected to cable modem)
[x] Client for Microsoft Networks
[ ] File & Printer Sharing
[x] Internet Protocol TCP/IP

Realtek Internal NIC:
[x] Client for Microsoft Networks
[x] File & Printer Sharing
[x] Internet Protocol TCP/IP

that would mean that it wouldn't share your files to the internet. if that doesn't speed it up, you could try removing "client for microsoft networks" from your dlink, but I don't know if you can. (that will stop it for sure.)

OP
S

Samildanach

Registered
Thnaks very much to all you fellas that helped me out. It worked!! :)

I had noticed that if I disable my dlink (internet nic) then the workgroups load up much much faster, so obviously there was the culprit. But I wasn't sure why.

So I did what you guys told me and disabled file and printer sharing but still no joy. Then I tried disabling the client for microsoft networks in my dlink and HOORAH IT WORKED. I can now access all the other machines at light speed instead of at snail pace. (No disrespect meant to snails).

An almighty thanks to you guys for being so helpfull!!