• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

network intercom for folding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NedClocker

Anyone know how to make a home network function as an intercom, so I can talk to someone working on a folding rig in another room?

Have not yet found a recorder software that allows selecting a network source for input.

netmeeting is on most computers with windowsxp. just gota turn it on.

its also helpful because you can take over the other persons computer...

wizard james said:
netmeeting is on most computers with windowsxp. just gota turn it on.

its also helpful because you can take over the other persons computer...

It was on 1. Had to add it to another.

And on a third one, it is not even shown as a windows option that can be added. :-/

JetMech said:
Ned, what version of Windows are you using. Net Meet is a free app from MS and can be downloaded through a search engine (will get latest version faster).

Hey, buddy. 98 on all of 'em, but not SE

It's a done deal. I made it work yesterday.

NetMeeting was already loaded on one box.

I loaded it on another box using the original install CD. And, it worked.
Didn't think about downloading an updated version.

2 things, though.

1) ONE of those boxes was my internet server. When it was connected to the other box, using NetMeet, NONE of my computers could get internet access. Thoughts? I have not researched it yet.

2) Another box doesn't even show net meet as an option. (Yes, control panel, add/remove, windows setup. It's not in the list of communications options. Or any of the other options, either.

Any ideas on that one????

NedClocker said:
Hey, buddy. 98 on all of 'em, but not SE

It's a done deal. I made it work yesterday.

NetMeeting was already loaded on one box.

I loaded it on another box using the original install CD. And, it worked.
Didn't think about downloading an updated version.

2 things, though.

1) ONE of those boxes was my internet server. When it was connected to the other box, using NetMeet, NONE of my computers could get internet access. Thoughts? I have not researched it yet.

2) Another box doesn't even show net meet as an option. (Yes, control panel, add/remove, windows setup. It's not in the list of communications options. Or any of the other options, either.

Any ideas on that one????
Not sure about the inner workings of the program. I know there are some permissions you have to give if allowing access to desktop and mouse control. Sounds like it takes total control of the net. I know you use you ip address as phone number. That may lock out other access.

On the second question. It's been so long since I used and OS older than ME I can't remember which came with it and which didn't. If it is an OEM version they could have left it out. A friend first turned me on to it while troubleshooting a prob on my PC. At that time I downloaded it off the net.http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...46-62bc-4388-8ead-0b705927ae28&DisplayLang=en . This is a link to the Microsoft download page for Netmeet 3.0 1999 version which should work with older OS. Hope this helps.

Back