• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Network Lan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dpg3456

Hello,

I currently have a Asus Crosshair V Formula Z which has an Intel 825835V Gigabit Network Lan. As we speak I am downloading some games and was curious if i am maxing out the download speed. It says 11.1 MB/S while the Task Manager says I am receiving information at a rate of 98.7 MB/S. Now would adding an additional network card through PCI-e and adding another network cable allow me to download games and play games at the same time? My service gives me 120 MB/S or so.

Thanks for the help.

wingman99

Your Gigabit LAN is 1000Mb/s so it can handle all of the 120Mb/s, so you can play and download at the same time, you don't need two network connections = 2000Mb/s.

OP
D

Dpg3456

Okay. How do i make my ping better? Without downloading its at 78 ish. But when i download its 300. Is that just a consequence of downloading?

trents

Killer NIC drivers are problematic and Killer NIC is mostly hype.

Ping length is just a reflection of how many handoffs there are along the way between you and the download server. The only thing to do about that is to try a different download site.

wingman99

Ping length is just a reflection of how many handoffs there are along the way between you and the download server. The only thing to do about that is to try a different download site.

That is true, however when the bandwidth on the client side is maxed out the data traffic does increase the ping at the client side do to the bottle neck. Going from ~78 ping playing games then adding downloads while playing games the OP shoots up to 300 Ping, Traffic shaping helps lower the ping. I have used Priorities and Traffic shaping and it works great.

Jeff G

I have the Killer and Intel both. I have better luck with the Killer, less ping and more stable. I don't think I'd go to the extreme of buying one if I already had the Intel, but with both onboard I have my pick.

OP
D

Dpg3456

"Pros
A reduction in latency was found but subtle at best. What, you think there should be more?...more pro?....ok,...how about, "it didn't corrupt the computer and it was easy enough to purge from the registry". How's that for a pro?

Cons
Very intrusive registry chain. Trust is an issue with this software. It's so deeply rooted within the registry that what's actually going on is hard to track. I've spent hours linking the registry changes that the program makes and half of it has nothing to do with actual data path usage. It's a bit random, like a wet dream gone south.

Summary
Don't plan on contacting them for information or assistance. They're slow to respond. No seriously, you don't know this sort of slow. Makes you a bit paranoid to be honest. Just paying for the program through PayPal was like trying to deal with retarded kids running a neighbourhood Koolaid stand. No concept of customer service whatsoever. That well known German arrogance is alive and well with this company...company *cough*....enterprise?.....eh....."

Im good with trying that program. thanks though

trents

You might want to create a restore point before installing if you have reservations. That way, you should be able to reverse any registry changes.

wagex

Chapstick Eating Premium Member
Okay. How do i make my ping better? Without downloading its at 78 ish. But when i download its 300. Is that just a consequence of downloading?

what are you downloading? p2p stuff? thats going to kill a connection no matter what.

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
Sounds like more of an issue with your ISP.

Do you have another computer on your local network? If so, ping that PC while downloading and not downloading...if it's consistent then it's your router or your ISP.