• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

network newbie gotta easy question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well they both do have differant ip's.
and i do get all the functions u stated in the network.

should i still go mess with it?

sorry I was also helping someone setup a network...

where did we leave off, are you able to connect to the internet from each machine? did assigning IP's allow the two machines to share files?

i was able to share internet no problem earlier.both accessed on thier own with differant ip's
just the pc's didnt see each other.
well you were vary helpfull to me.this is one area i really hate becouse its all microsoft settings and it can be really confusing.

I am glad I was able to help, just not sure I did, you can still connect to the internet from both machines, but were you able to setup file sharing across them?

no i couldnt file share. that was the problem .niether saw each other. was in the network settings tho was were the problems were.it would almost be impossable with all the combinations of stuff to have any kinda guide written id think.

umm no i havent. but i can access both and transfer files.
they do have differant ip's i even double checked when i tested the firewall stuff. as it gives your ip it sees

the ip syfgate reported wasnt either machine tho.thats good!

Wow.. this has been a busy thread.. I'm glad you got it working, here's a few pointers though:

You can install a client in your network neighborhood properties called "Client for Family Logons" or something like that, and change the "Logon Manager" dropdown box to that. That will get rid of the Network logon boxes at startup, w/o comprimising windows 98's security (*caughLOLcaugh*) :D

The software firewalls won't do any good, they'll just cause you more problems than anything. If they are set to "internet zone", then it will reject any incomming request. If they are set to "trusted zone", then they will reject any incomming request except for file transfer. Your router will reject any incomming packet, no matter what it is, from the internet, unless you specifically requested it, ie: asking for a webpage. (or changed the router's config).

You may consider upgrading from windows 98 in the future, windows 2000 and XP provide better security, more reliability, etc, etc. Unfortunately, their networking is more complex, but their network connections are auto-setup correctly most of the time. Just a thought :)

yup im sure xp isnt far away in my future.
right now im always reconfiguring my suystems and swapping hdd's so i dont feel like messing with the hassle of buying a bunch of copys of xp.then activating em,every time reinstall.

but its coming to the point where all my hardware is almost all purchased for my 2 main rigs.mabey a 3rd added later since i have alot of parts.
for some reason zonealarm is being a large pain in my A$$.
when i uninstall it it takes a vxd file with it. then i get boot errors.and now since ive had to reinstall it back to fix the error, it wont come out of my mscnfg settings.cant even change it in ZA preferances.any ideas? mabey a registry deletion in order?

I agree XP would make certain things simplier, but where is the changelle, plus we all know 98SE is capable of doing what he wants, just a matter of figuring it out...I have to admit it is killing me that I can't figure out why...

but I haven't quit yet!

Back