• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Network password for sharing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

Hi Guys,

When I try to logon to my laptop running Vista Ultimate from another computer on the network it asks me for a password before I can access the shared folders.

How can I activate this on my Vista Business HTPC? I just want to keep people out of my shared folders on the network. Right now anybody can look at \\Server\ and I want to eliminate that.

Thanks,

thehacker010

Well, if it only asks for a password when you try to access the folder, that sounds like shared level. If I remember correctly, Windows DOES NOT support shared level anymore because it is weak.

The best option would be user-level sharing. You can set the folder to only be accessed by specific users. When you then try to access the shared folders/files, it will ask for the username and password of a valid user on that specific computer. Vista and up calls this "Password Protected Sharing." You can right-click a folder and select share folder or share with. Then select advanced sharing and set the user permissions.

If you are on a domain, it is a bit different to do but the same general idea.

*EDIT*
Another idea is if you want to share stuff like video and photos, the new version of Windows has a nice way of doing that with a password. You can select what you want to share (documents, pictures, videos, music, printers) and then it creates a password for your homegroup. Then, each computer has to enter that password before it can join your homegroup and access the selected folder listed above. This allows all of your home computers to always have access after you enter that homegroup password, but outside people would not be able to join the group.

Last edited:

Omsion

In Network and Sharing Center, there should be an option for "Password Protected Sharing".