• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Network/Server Configuration

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SRB442

Hi All,
I sorta have a network in my house now but don't know the proper way it should be set up. I have a cable modem for internet access which is hard wired to my SMC wireless barricade then I have my main machine hardwired to the baricade. I have 3 other machines that are wireless to the barricade. What I want to do now is dedicate a machine as a web server so I can store my web page (which is yet to be built) am I going in the right direction? If I left anything out let me know. Steve

JasonKosi

Sounds okay to me. What you'll need to do is set up port forwarding or a DMZ on the router that will point to the web server.

Also keep in mind that many cable providers block port 80 (web traffic) so you may need to use a non-standard port (like 8080 or anything over 1024).

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
You may want to check with your cable provider as to whether you are allowed to host a webserver. A lot of ISPs don't want you hosting webservers.

This may save you some time arguing with your ISP to get your cable reactivated. :D

Your on the right track so far..

OP
SRB442

SRB442

Thanks for the information. I don't think I will have a problem with the cable company as a couple of my friends have servers set up on the same system and am going to get help from them also. I am using xp home on 2 machines and 98se on the others. My friend wants to use server 2000 on the machine I will use as the server. I don't have a network set up other than when I plugged all the cards in for the barricade it worked. How much of a machine do I need for a server. like proccesser speed etc. Steve

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
if it's not going to get a whole lot of hits, then a slow server (P1 200 mhz) should do. If you are going to be doing SQL, scripting or large file serveing, you'll want a faster computer, a P2 or so. For larger servers, with over 50 hits per minute, you'll want even higher, but a P2 will handle it.