• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Network with USB2 possible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AbraM

Registered
I have two of my computers connected to internet thru one set of network cards and directly to each other with a crossover cable and another set of network cards. The point of this is to have a secure system and be able to totally share the harddrives on both systems. With 100mbit cards it works pretty well. But it is not as fast as i could be. With firewire you can do the same thing at a lot higher speed.

But today we have USB2 on almost all new systems. It is even faster than firewire, and comes with the motherboard. I have seen special cables for making direct connections between computers using USB1 but this is really no option as it is really slow.

Does anybody know a way to use USB2 for direct connection between computers? Any ideas or thoughts on this mather would be of great interest!

Maximouse

I dont know if its possible to just direct connect them with just a cable. You might need some sort of device (hub?) to make the connection.

Though My older MSI board has a special USB port that allows that. Its an earlier version usb. I dont know if they have incorporated it in the newer boards with 2.0 support.

Edit: Heres a link to a site that sell adapters to allow USB networking, so I guess it can be done:)

http://www.usbgear.com/usa/USB_Network_Adapter.html

Last edited:
OP
A

AbraM

Registered
Yes, I have seen that MSI has implemented this feature in to their boards. To bad that I do not like to buy MSI motherboards. They are not the best boards for overclocking...

The solutions in the link was all of the slover usb1 model. I would like to see something that uses the full 40mb/s potential of usb2.

Well, thanks anyway :)