• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Networking 2 computers directly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mmcshmi11

I am trying to hook up my laptop that is running windows 98se to my desktop running xp pro. I connected a cable between the 2 and used the network setup wizard on my desktop and it made a disk to put into my laptop that would finish setting the 2 of them up. After i put the disk in it said i needed the windows 98 cd but i can't find it so what do i do.
By the way; on my desktop with windows xp pro, it shows an icon that says "network bridge" in the network connections and the settings of that bridge has my laptop's ip address. But how can i get this to work, can i set this up manually to connect them??

Kingslayer

Take that floppy and throw it away. Make sure the drivers are installed for each network adapter. Go into each computer network adapter properties. Make sure Microsoft Network, The adapter, and TCP/IP are the only things installed. Right click on the Adapter and go to properties. Set the IP addresses to 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2. Make the subnet mask 255.255.255.255.

Right click on my computer and go to properties. Go into the computer name section. Name them what you want, or what's already there, but make sure they are on the same WORKGROUP.

Now, XP is a host operation system. It wants control and wants everything to answer to it. Make sure you log into the Win98 machine. Write down the username and password you just used to log into it. Go to the XP machine and make sure that you create an account with the proper priveliges on the XP machine using that exact same username and password that you wrote down.

Now, turn each computer off and plug in the crossover cable. You do have a crossover cable right? A normal network cable won't work for a direct connection.

OP
mmcshmi11

mmcshmi11

I actually don't have a crossover cable, i'll look into getting one of those, but does it make a difference that my ethernet is built into my motherboard? i have the abit sr7-8x.