• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Networking two Linksys routers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LordGiovanni

Registered
Up to now I've had two dektop computers on a regular linksys router. Today my brother's lappy came for college so we bought a wireless-G router (linksys). Its sort-of working now (there is internet in the lappy) but the lappy wont show up on the other two computers in the workgroup (yes they are all in the same workgroup) and the lappy only sees itself. Currently, the regular router has an ip of 192.168.2.1, the wireless is on 192.168.2.2 . It was on 192.168.1.1 but i changed it (blah). Umm I cant access the wireless router setup page from the two desktops, but i can access the setup page for either router from the lappy. I am not quite sure how to fix this, so help! :)

EDIT: The wireless router has a cable runnning from its WAN port to a regular port (3rd one) on the regular router.

Labotomy Jack

If I remeber correctly you need to plug the cord from one of the LAN ports on the regular router to any port but the WAN port on the wireless router (assuming your internet connection is coming throught the regular router). Also I believe you may need to use a patch cable instead of a regular cat5/6 cable.

A few things: on the linksys I used to use, just plugging the the cord from the main router into any of the ports autmaticllay disabled the routing functions. It is possible you may need to access the setup page and set this manually (likely if its an older model, though I think mine is at least a couple years old). Also some routers have a specific uplink port which you may have to use. And finally I'm not entirely sure what differences may apply with a wireless router.

OP
L

LordGiovanni

Registered
<3 thanks a LOT. It works fine now, but I do have one problem. Since it disables the routing functions how can i get into the setup page for my wireless router now? It wont open ><. I had to change its ip to 192.168.1.1 for the whole thing to work, and now I cant get to its setup page :(

mtnbikerjerry

You may want to change the routing on that second linksys router to RIP or RIP2. I find that RIP 2 works better. For tecnhical reasons, RIP2 is more secure especially for special services and a better broadcast handling mechnanisms by using a multicast feature.

Cool stuff. Neat that these linksys routers support RIP2.

With some of the Wireless WRT54G, OSPF with 3rd party firmware can allow OSPF (Open Shortest Path First) routing protocols.

Here is a good read. RIP1 vs RIP2

http://www.pmg.com/otw_nwsl/97_w_rip1.htm

Set both TX and RX to RIP2 on your linksys router for the non-gateway router.

J

TimDgsr

LordGiovanni said:
I cant get to tis setup page though

are both router's ip addresses 192.168.1.1 now? you need to make sure they're different. also a good idea to make sure they're both outside your dhcp scope. to contact a router, your computer needs to be in the same subnet as your router. also, if you're running two routers, make sure one of them's dhcp is disabled.

OP
L

LordGiovanni

Registered
Other router is on 192.168.2.1. and what do you mean by making them on the same subnet? the same LAN subnet or WAN subnet? I'm pretty sure they're both on the same LAN subnet mask. I was able to disconnect it temporarily and turn off its DHCP. the options for RIP that i found were LAN & wireless, WAN, Both. I set it to both. Still cant access its router setup page.

EDIT: Forwarding problems were my own mistake :-[. Still need to figure out why i cant access its setup page but oh well.

Last edited: