• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Networking under 2k3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

Does anyone have any idea on how to set up the networking for 2003? I can't see anyone's computers. Seeing as this is a server OS you'd think that it would be able to work right off the bat. Any ideas.
Duck

XWRed1

Its the same as Win2k and XP. Probably something silly if you aren't seeing computers in Network Places. Windows inexplicably does that sometimes.

Have you tried putting \\computername in a run dialog or location bar?

Kingslayer

Just as with 2000, NT, and XP you MUST have accounts in the 2K3 machine for all the computers that connect to it.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, read the stickies.

XWRed1

You mean accounts for connecting computers right? Cause it'd be absurd to require an individual account for every connecting computer and they definately don't need that.

Another thing, if you can't connect to another computer's share manually, see if you can ping it.

Wonderboy

I have been having the same problems and have had no luck signing into my win2k3 comp even when using the admin account. Perhaps there is a setting i am missing. I have set up many accounts what can ping the comp fine, just not able to get into it.

XWRed1

Like what? You try to connect to a share, it asks for a user and pass, you supply one, and it doesn't take it?

XWRed1

Is the guest account disabled? You tried putting NAME\user for the username, where NAME is the computer name of the win2k3 machine?

DaBigJ

I'm running 2k3, and I'm not having problems, but I've had that same problem in the past... eventually it just clears itself up, but I'd really like to know how fix it.

OP
T

ToiletDuck

shouldn't have to put guest and all that in. we are just wanting simple networking

DDR-PIII

Disabled
At first thats how it was "only one time" it asked me for a user name and pass so i gave it the Admin user name and pass, and i chosoe save password so i guess it automaticly does it for me now cuz it dosent ask anymore.

Wonderboy

Got it working for me, i just set up the file server role again and it works like butter :) Thanks all for the help. If you have any questions pm me and i will try to help as much as possible

roYal

XWRed1 said:
You mean accounts for connecting computers right? Cause it'd be absurd to require an individual account for every connecting computer and they definately don't need that.

Another thing, if you can't connect to another computer's share manually, see if you can ping it.

In a workgroup scenario, you need the username and password installed on every machine. So you have user A and user B and user C, user A, B must be added to user C's machine. User B must have User A and C's username/pw added to USer B's machine. That's the whole point of workgroups, that every workstation has their own SAM (Security Accounts Manager) which is why domain's were made, for a centralized database (SAM). However, if he can't see any of the workstations in network neighborhood, it's not because of the username/pw issue because no matter what, the computers still send out a broadcast which'll put those workstations in the network neighborhood, you just wont be able to access them. In his case, he prolly could've messed up on the network id portion of the ip address, or used a different subnet, or worst of all, forgot to share something!!!!!!!!!!

XWRed1

I can say that you are wrong about needing passwords for each machine on every machine. As I type this I'm sitting at a lan party and we have no trouble accessing each other's shares without making an account for each computer on the lan on each computer attached to the lan.

Everyone has their guest account turned on and Windows trys that. I'm running Samba and I didn't have to create any users. Everyone is in random workgroups and it all works fine.

Nebby

Registered
I believe 2k3 comes with guest account disabled, and that is enabled once you set it up to the file server role; I may be wrong since its 4 in the morning....haha

roYal

so basically, what does the guest do exactly with filesharing? Sounds to me like if you have guest disabled, then you have to add user accounts to every computer, but if you DO have guest enabled, then you don't have to add useraccounts to everyone's computer. IS this true? If so, why is that?

XWRed1

Its cause with Win9x, it *ALWAYS* uses guest as the username when connecting to shares unless it has logged onto a domain. Windows always uses guest as the default username and if there is no password set for it on the server then it connects fine with no prompts. Or it should, anyways.

roYal

well what about in lets say 2k or xp. I have disabled guest, and i notice i have to add both useraccounts on the other computer to mine so it can connect to my share and visa versa. So your saying if i were to enable guests on both machines, i could delete the usernames and both workstations could connect to eachothers shares without adding eachothers user accounts in as long as i have the guest account not disabled?

roYal

dude, i'm so happy. I just tested it. AT one point, i didn't have to add the user accounts to my workstation for other computers to access my share. Suddenly it stopped working and i had to add peoples user accounts to my computer. I now realize it was because i had disabled the guest account. I just tested, and i deleted the other workstations useraccounts off this workstation and i re-enabled guest account, it connected just fine. Then i disabled it, and it gave me access denied or asking me for a username/pw. Now i totally understand why it was doing that. Thanks so much guys.