• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Never Use Poly!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
IM SOO.....MAD....
i have 4 out of 5 cracked poly tops for my Type-S blocks, they are ALL GOING, im going to have to make brass or copper tops... ooh you have no idea how mad i am!
sorry for the delay for the people that have reserved these, if some reason you want to back down, thats fine.

Jon

OP
JFettig

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
I dont know the grade, but they are 3/8in thick, they arent craked all the way thru, they can crack at any place any moment, its rite at the barbs,
if you dont put the barbs in enough it wont crack, but you try to get tygon off the barbs and you unscrew them..... so i tightened them up more, then looked at it later on, they have many hairline cracks that dont reach the bottom..

litghost

the key it get a threading bit, that fixes the problem. or drill a hole large enough so the barb slips in, then use epoxy to fix it in place. EPOXY KICKS A$$ (i love liquid plastic epoxy)

OP
JFettig

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
yeah... guys, if you want a block now, case-mod.com has them, they are done correctly i guess, Geminicool did them so there wont be any problesm with that, they only have a maximum of 6 blocks to sell...

JML

You could look at this way- at least you don't have 4 people complaining to you about wet video cards.

In anycase, sorry to hear about the tops.

SemiCycle

JML said:
You could look at this way- at least you don't have 4 people complaining to you about wet video cards.

In anycase, sorry to hear about the tops.

I agree, you caught the problem early, so it has saved you tons of flaming e-mails and your potential clients wet motherboards and video cards.

Diggrr

Underwater Senior Member
Did you use brass or poly barbs?
I've not had a problem with 1/4 plexi and poly barbs. The white nylon ones work good too.

Sorry to hear about that though.

OP
JFettig

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
im providing them, yes i used poly barbs, screwed them in way too much otherwize i couldnt ge tthem to unscrew when i took the tubing off, im making copper or brass or anodized aluminum tops for them ALL

Cathar

Yes, it's for this reason that I refuse to fit poly tops on my blocks. Sure, after much experimentation you'll probably get it right, but what about the few times that it slips through quality control and after handling with the hosing on it cracks and leaks in someone's computer...

Poly tops - just like a riced up car.

Cathar

The issue with poly tops is the micro-fractures which occasionally form during machining. Now they may form or they may not. It's a pot luck thing. If they didn't form, then you'll be pretty safe with the poly top and can stress it without concern. Then you'll get the odd poly top with had micro-fractures after machining, which may not show up until an indefinite period afterwards.

Basically poly-tops are a time-bomb kinda thing. Most have the timer ripped out and will never go off (crack badly), but you can't tell that from looking at them. Some will go off (crack) at any moment but you'll never know if and when.

NeoMoses

yup, that's why all my blocks have anodized aluminum tops now. My first block had a poly top and cracked and almost killed a video card. The replacement top for it was cracked when I received it. After that, I lost all faith in plastics. Give me a good, solid metal any day.

gone_fishin

BandSaw King
Cathar said:
The issue with poly tops is the micro-fractures which occasionally form during machining. Now they may form or they may not. It's a pot luck thing. If they didn't form, then you'll be pretty safe with the poly top and can stress it without concern. Then you'll get the odd poly top with had micro-fractures after machining, which may not show up until an indefinite period afterwards.

Basically poly-tops are a time-bomb kinda thing. Most have the timer ripped out and will never go off (crack badly), but you can't tell that from looking at them. Some will go off (crack) at any moment but you'll never know if and when.

If that were true, then it wouldn't be used for anything. Protective visors would be cracking in front of peoples faces (they have multiple holes in them for fasteners around the edges as an example).:D
Five out of six tries that cracked tells me the method was bad, how about you?