• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New 5820k black and white build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mt_196

Registered
Hi guys. I just bought this rig and I'm here to hear some critiques or advices.

Phanteks enthoo pro m acrylic window + 4 be quiet silent wings 2 pwm + acquacomputer led control and 2 rgb led strips
Corsair RM750X + white cablemod cables
Msi x99a sli krait gaming
i7 5820k
Prolimatech Genesis black ed.+ 2 Noiseblocker eLoop B12-2
16gb ddr4 corsair vengeance lpx 2400mhz cl14 black
Sapphire r9 390 8gb trix w/back
Samsung pro 850 256gb
Samsung 850 evo 1tb

Here it is, it's a black and white build with rgb led, if you would like to see some unboxing and mounting videos just let me know.

I'm surprised anyone would go w/Haswell-E at this point. I'd figure o'clocking friendly broadwell or skylake builds would be the way to go -- especially since the uncore clocks a lot higher than it does on Haswell-E. I read an article that had memory write speeds being superior on Skylake to Haswell-E as well.

Hi guys. I just bought this rig and I'm here to hear some critiques or advices.

Phanteks enthoo pro m acrylic window + 4 be quiet silent wings 2 pwm + acquacomputer led control and 2 rgb led strips
Corsair RM750X + white cablemod cables
Msi x99a sli krait gaming
i7 5820k
Prolimatech Genesis black ed.+ 2 Noiseblocker eLoop B12-2
16gb ddr4 corsair vengeance lpx 2400mhz cl14 black
Sapphire r9 390 8gb trix w/back
Samsung pro 850 256gb
Samsung 850 evo 1tb

Here it is, it's a black and white build with rgb led, if you would like to see some unboxing and mounting videos just let me know.
yes, pics!

I'm surprised anyone would go w/Haswell-E at this point. I'd figure o'clocking friendly broadwell or skylake builds would be the way to go -- especially since the uncore clocks a lot higher than it does on Haswell-E. I read an article that had memory write speeds being superior on Skylake to Haswell-E as well.
especially because of uncore? Something that has so little to do with performance? Haswell-e is certianly lyndianne's overclock friendly as well... so says my 4.8ghz daily stable 5820k...now, I run it at 4.2ghz. Haswell-e, being quad channel has a ton more bandwidth. Look at our reviews and the aida benchmarks bub.

Broadwell is, for all intents and purposes, the red headed stepchild. It was out for a couple months before skylake released I wouldn't get Broadwell with Skylake out due to native features in the z170 chipset like usb 3.1 and m.2, ddr4 (not that it mattershould much).. I mean the cost differences are truly minimal.. Ddr4 is the only difference. I'd pay $10 more for the latest platform even if performancestors differences aren't much ato all..

especially because of uncore? Something that has so little to do with performance? Haswell-e is certianly lyndianne's overclock friendly as well... so says my 4.8ghz daily stable 5820k...now, I run it at 4.2ghz. Haswell-e, being quad channel has a ton more bandwidth. Look at our reviews and the aida benchmarks bub.

Broadwell is, for all intents and purposes, the red headed stepchild. It was out for a couple months before skylake released I wouldn't get Broadwell with Skylake out due to native features in the z170 chipset like usb 3.1 and m.2, ddr4 (not that it mattershould much).. I mean the cost differences are truly minimal.. Ddr4 is the only difference. I'd pay $10 more for the latest platform even if performancestors differences aren't much ato all..

So you would still recommend Haswell-E builds over Skylake?

For gaming it seems like Haswell-E uses a lot of power for less performance than either Broadwell or Skylake.

Couldn't Skylake w/it's theoretically much higher maximum memory speed (4100 MHz) be able to get better bandwidth than Haswell-E?

It depends on how one uses the pc. If you don't need the cores, go skylake. If you can use the cores, go haswell-e.

As far as power, it really adds up to a few bucks a YEAR. The difference in wattage is only 60-75W or so (do the math on -> 4 hours a day 365 days a year and pay 10c per KW/hr).

As far as bandwidth, I don't know that answer.. but quad channel bandwidth with a hex/octo core cpu puts up some pretty huge numbers in aida64 memory benchmark. Well over the skylake i7, dual channel. Look at dinosaur review on the 5960x.

I've never seen ddr4 4100+ aida numbers. But, for now, that isn't a realistic choice for a gaming system conskdering memory speed helps in VERY few games. Not to mention that is price prohibitive and closes or even ELIMINATES the small price difference (I'm thinking 4x4GB ddr4 3k vs 2x8gb ddr44100+) between systems. Really the only difference is in the quad channel memory ($20?), motherboard ($20), and cpu ($20). Cheapest set of ddr4 4133 was $195 on newegg. ;)

Back