• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New 960...8 pin, 6 pin, molex oh my

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DisscoStu

Registered
New 960 install. It needs an 8 pin power, which I don't have, but it comes with an 8 to dual 6 pin adapter. Now I have a 6 pin from my psu, but only 1, so the plan is the molex to 6 pin from one side, real 6 from the other side, both those to the 8 pin adapter, allll into the gpu.

Question is....
A. Is this safe?? Done the adapters, but not 2 daisy chained.

B. With the molex to 6 pin.... There are dual molex, and also single molex. Do I need the dual molex type adapters? And anyone know any real good models of these? Several look reeal sketchy

Sounds like a low power psu or somethung.. what is it...(may want to create a signature with your hardware in it).

Dual adapters. While it shod be fine, I would get it to one sooner than later.

Sorry, it's a 400w, should be enough to easily power a 960, or so I was told in another post earlier

It will be fine yes. I'd use a sine adapter though...

(Create a sig with your hardware)

Sig coming, soon as im home. Why do you think single? If they are just as good why do the doubles even exist?

please use as few adaptors as you can, do not daisy chain them.
with a 960 you will be fine with 400 watts and an adaptor to each power plug.

No choice, I'll explain more clearly.
Card has 8 pin slot, comes with 8 pin to dual 6 pin adapter
My psu has only molex and ONE 6 pin
So to connect to the 8 pin I need both adapters, or a single 6 to 8(which doesn't provide full power)

If the adapters run the pins right it shouldn't matter, just not sure whether to use the dual or single molex adapter to my missing 6 pin slot

I'd be sorely tempted to return the card as incompatible and get one that's 6-pin, most 960's are 6-pin and none need to have <150W capability.

I sort of had this thought as well, maybe just retrun it. It was real cheap, had a gift card, and also there shouldn't be a need for over 150W, ,I figure I will install, check the clock speeds/temps against the defaults. If I see any drops or big variance I prob will return it

I sort of had this thought as well, maybe just retrun it. It was real cheap, had a gift card, and also there shouldn't be a need for over 150W, ,I figure I will install, check the clock speeds/temps against the defaults. If I see any drops or big variance I prob will return it

You wouldn't see anything like that in any case. If you install it with tel he adapters, you will be fine so long as the adapters don't crap out on you...which is the concern...but plenty of people use them. :)

well my thought was if the adapters DONT work, and its only getting 75w it might not be able to hit its stock OC speeds, but I'm going to throw em all on there and see whats what in a few days

PS in case anyone else ever has this issue, few questions i never got answered. i did my research. the molex or sata to 6 pin are identical, just depends on your psu (ie, if you have more free of one or the other, or your psu specifically has one on a smaller rail), and also as for the single or double molex to 6 pin question...the reason for the double when it doesn't need or push more than 1 will give, it is so you can connect the diff molex on diff rails, for max efficiency if one is overloaded/busted/lagged/etc, just for redundancy sake

I've had to do this with my HD7950 and an old CM 460W PSU. It's not ideal but will work just fine albeit with a rats nest of wires. Just out of curiosity does the PSU have a single 12v rail or more?

If you need 2 molex then you can simply buy 1x4pin to 2x4pin molex cable for like $2.

GTX960 is designed to work at single 6 pin connector so in theory it doesn't need 8 pin but card's design can block it. In real on 6 pin you can also deliver 150W if card's BIOS is modified and you are using good single rail PSU.

Back