• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new 9700 pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

webfreak

Sup guys. I just dove in and ordered a Powercolor 9700 Pro 128mb retail video card from newegg for $219. Here's the link. It's replacing my dead Visiontek GF4 Ti4400 128mb card. After much research and reading reviews and benchmarks, I convinced myself that the 9700 pro was worth the little bit extra cost over the 9600xt I was set on at first and went ahead and got it. I would've gotten the BBA 9700 pro if they had any, but I guess they were out of them. I'll let you guys know how installation and setup and benching goes when I get the card, which will hopefully be here by the end of the week. I don't plan on overclocking it just yet, since that's what I figured killed my Ti4400. Otherwise, it should prove to be a big boost in performance over my old card.

Last edited:

Lancelot

It's even a big boost over the 9600pro/xt you were looking at cuz you'll now have 8 pixelpipes and full 256bit memory access at high speeds!

OP
W

webfreak

Oni said:
Just remember to completely remove all of your old GeForce drivers before installing the new drivers for your Radeon.

Good luck!

Yeah I knew about that. I actually planned on doing a full format/reinstall of XP pro. It's about that time again.

Lancelot said:
It's even a big boost over the 9600pro/xt you were looking at cuz you'll now have 8 pixelpipes and full 256bit memory access at high speeds!

That's one of the main reasons I decided on the 9700 pro. Although, it probably won't benefit much from my lowly 1.4ghz tbird. I think I'll bump the speed back up to 1.6ghz again when I get the rig back up and running (it was stable at 143 or 144 mhz fsb last I checked, not bad for an old tbird on aircooling).

kaptkarl40

webfreak said:
Sup guys. I just dove in and ordered a Powercolor 9700 Pro 128mb retail video card from newegg for $219. Here's the link. It's replacing my dead Visiontek GF4 Ti4400 128mb card. After much research and reading reviews and benchmarks, I convinced myself that the 9700 pro was worth the little bit extra cost over the 9600xt I was set on at first and went ahead and got it. I would've gotten the BBA 9700 pro if they had any, but I guess they were out of them. I'll let you guys know how installation and setup and benching goes when I get the card, which will hopefully be here by the end of the week. I don't plan on overclocking it just yet, since that's what I figured killed my Ti4400. Otherwise, it should prove to be a big boost in performance over my old card.

Great choice there dude. I have the exact same card!! It ROCKS!!! Plays every game out there flawlessly.......all eye candy on!! I've had mine for about 6 months. I think I'll keep it another year or so then.....who knows what's next??

Once again, great purchase!!

Karl