• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New AGOIA 1600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nildey

Registered
Hey guys!

I just got my new AGOIA 1600 9 on an Epox 8k5a2+....without unlocking it I can only reach 160fsb (1688mhz)...after that it wont boot up....I have Corsair XMS 2700 memory...would you consider that a bad overclocker?...I haven't changed the voltages or anything...what do you think?

Oh and also my new Albatron Geforce4 Ti 4200 Turbo only reaches 295/600....how about that? that;s pretty ****ty huh?

What should be my next step?

Let me know what you think!!

Thanks a bunch!

P.S. My CPU load temp is 43C!

maxima88

We need to know more about the rest of your h/w. Could be insufficient cooling, weak psu, or too aggressive RAM timing.

OP
Nildey

Nildey

Registered
I know its not the cooling...my VCore is a little under spec but stable...my PSU is "only" 350W which I think was enough...and my memory timing is set to "fast", which means CAS 2 which is the spec for my 2700 XMS ddr....I have no PCI cards...let me know if you need to know anything else=)

Thanks for posting!!!

maxima88

What are your temps? Also up your vcore if you know your cooling can handle it. That should get you a few more mhz.

Also run your RAM at CAS2.5, that should also give you a few more mhz.

malon

Nildey said:

I haven't changed the voltages or anything...what do you think?

I think your cpu is asking for more vcore @ >160 mhz... try with 1.8V and 166 mhz fsb... my agoia y works stable with 1.775v @ 166 mhz fsb. GL

OP
Nildey

Nildey

Registered
I CANNOT get my CPU over 160fsb....167fsb won't work either...I tried vdimm, vcore, normal ram settings....nothing....my CPU temp is 41C load <45C! Case temp is 35C! Guess I will have to unlock it to get over the hump...?

I have had similar luck to you with the 1600+. I have had 2 1600+ processors, an AGNGA, and an AGOIA and both seemed to hit a wall at 1670-1680Mhz, so that may about it for that processor without extrordinary cooling measures. O/C.com own CPU Database lists the avg. O/C for the 1600+ at 1681Mhz w/500+ samples.
Thats up about 15mhz over the last couple of months, so these later batches must be doing a little better, but that seems to be pretty close to avg. for that processor. ... there is that thing called Luck of the Draw too, some CPU's are better than others... Caveat Emptor!

smudged

I would try burning it in a bit with some intensive Prime 95 runs and upping the v core to about 1.85 or higher. Keep an eye on the temps tho, if as you say cooling is not an issue then you should be safe.

It took me 3 months of work to get over 1700 MHz with my XP1800.

currently i am 10*172.84= 1728.4 MHz (according to WCPUID)
and running memory @Turbo.

This is not 100% with PRIME95 yet, but it is getting there.

I could never get the CPU past 1680MHz before but with a bit more v core and some burning I got a few extra MHz.

I cant say I have heard about any bad experiences with corsair 2700 RAM. I was going to go for that myself but the MUshkin was cheaper. My ram is only rated @ CAS 2.5 but it runs CAS2 no probs. If yours is running in spec then I don't think it will be having an effect on the O/c.

If you are really concerned then post the full details on your set up, someone will be able to spot what is holding you up.

Slayn

I think its your avatar thats holding you back. Its not as hot as that other guys. You know the guy. You all whack off to his pic too. I forgot his name...

Emericana

Unlocking your cpu will not give you more MHZ out of it. it will let you run it at a higher FSB by allowing you to lower the mult and up the FSB. Since yours cant do 10.5x166, try 10x166 and then slowly up the fsb till your cpu reaches its limits. Make sure you have 1.85v on cpu and 2.8v (or more) on the ram

ChillPhatCat

@ 10.5 multiplier I could only get my chip to run at 1627 stable @ 1.82V, I dropped to 10x multiplier and I was able to O/C to 1730 just as stable, w/ higher FSB (173 vs. 155) and same voltage...

BTW mine is an AGOIA 9 also... see sig

Kunaak

160 at default voltages is pretty damn good if you ask me.
especially if it's still locked.

unlock that chip, burn it in for a week, then give a try, I get you get much better results.

ChillPhatCat

Yeah, I'm sure there's more in that chip... if you can get a better cooling system then you should be able to crank it up to 1.95V or so, I know there's another 100 MHz or more left in my chip... just need to cool it down at 1.95V... a 427 MHz overclock is decent... hopefully I can hit 1.9 GHz though.

BTW are there any programs that will let me fool around with memory timings? I love everything about this board except the lack of memory timing controls. :(