• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new AGP card for LCD monitor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Markk79

I just received a new LCD with native resolution of 1280X1024.

My system is an FX-53, 1 gig RAM and 6800 GT video card. I have an AGP, non-SLI motherboard.

I like to run games as maxed as possible and I am concerned that at the native resolution, the 6800 GT may have some trouble with the latest games.

Is it true that the latest ATI and Nvidia offerings are PCIe only? Are they ever going to offer AGP?

Is buying a PCIe mobo the only way around this problem? It's not worth it to upgrade to a 6800 Ultra, is it?

Thanks.

Yuriman

The top end cards are indeed only PCI-Express, and there is no way of getting around that. Is your FX-53 socket 939 or 940? If you sell off your current stuffs, the upgrade might cost less than $200 to move to a 7800GTX on PCI-E.

And yes, your card will probably have a little trouble. I have my X800GTO² @ X850XT PE, and I have to turn down the graphics a tad in AOE3, and down a lot in F.E.A.R., to maintain a nice framerate at 1280x960. Other than those games you probably won't have any problems, but new games are always coming out.

darksparkz

Yep, 6800GT is more or less top of the line AGP, other then the Ultra and X850XT PE, but it's a waste of money to upgrade to that while you can simply go PCI-E. The thing that can max out 1280x1024 would most likely be the 7800GT.

OP
M

Markk79

Thanks for the help so far.

If I was to try to convert my system to PCIe, are there any threads or articles that could help me in this regard?

I have a 939 FX-53 and 1 Gig Ram. Would I have to get new RAM? NEw CPU? IS it a matter of just re-inserting my CPU into new motherboard? Would all of the programs on my hard drive remain intact and transfer ok by just plugging in hard drive into new mobo?

Thanks.

Burdman27911

There are s939 PCIe mobos, so I would just suggest that you sell off your current mobo and 6800 and then pick up something nice.

KillrBuckeye

If you need to do a gradual upgrade, the ASRock 939 Dual SATA II motherboard supports both AGP and PCI-e video cards. As far as I know, it's the only board offered right now with the ULi chipset that has this flexibility. It's only $70, and seems to be a decent overclocker. You won't need a new CPU or RAM with any socket 939 motherboard.