• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New AMD build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

agentbad

This is what I have come up with so far and the total without shipping comes to $1,053.92. I am wondering if I should save the extra cash with this rig or build an Intel rig after I get my tax refund.

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
MSI NF980-G65 AM3 NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI HDMI
EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260
OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb
LITE-ON Black 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS424-98 LightScribe

if you've got the money to burn and want the extra speed, go intel. but AMD is still a good choice.

what exactly will you be using this system for? you might be going overkill on a few items. and if you're going to spend that much you might as well go SLI.

if you aren't planning on using your old system, you might as well salvage the drive from it unless you absolutely need 1TB. if you really need 1TB, then get two 500GB drives instead. you could buy a single small hard drive for your old PC if you plan on still using it, and put those old drives in the new PC.

4gb should be more than enough, you most likely won't need 6gb. but if you want to go over kill it's your money :)

The mobo sounds fine, but it might be overkill and overpriced for your needs as well. you don't want to pay extra for features you'll never use (like onboard video or onboard sound if you have a soundcard).

The AM3 chipset doesn't support triple channel memory, so you're going to want to get either 4gb (2x2) or 8gb (4x2) dual channel kits. I just ordered all the parts for a similar system (in my sig) - can't wait to get it going!

What they said^^^

I would get a different mobo, personally.
I would stick with AMD chipsets, if you can find a decently priced 790FX board that would be ideal, failing that a 790GX.
I'd aim for a higher end GPU as well.
If you can find a cheaper mobo, and if you downgrade the CPU to a 955 C3, you should be able to afford a grade higher GPU, which will make a difference in games (assuming you aren't using a small ancient monitor).

This is what I have come up with so far and the total without shipping comes to $1,053.92. I am wondering if I should save the extra cash with this rig or build an Intel rig after I get my tax refund.

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
MSI NF980-G65 AM3 NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI HDMI
EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260
OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb
LITE-ON Black 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS424-98 LightScribe

You don't specify what OS you plan on using, if XP is it you don't need 6g anyway, XP won't see any more than 3g. My new build is this, I understand it's not as fast as all of the others I have read but,
Case---------- 712 Black case with side window http://www.bccpc.com/712-4hlw-bk.htm
MB------------ Biostar GeForce 6100-M9
CPU----------- AMD Athlon 64 939 Socket
DVD----------- NEC DVD Burner
Ram----------- PNY Dual Channel 2048MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory (2 x 1024MB)
HDD----------- 120g Maxtor (a couple of years old)
OS------------ Windows XP Pro dual boot with Linux Ubuntu 9.10 (new to this)
Router---------Dlink DIR615
video card, newer dvd burner and floppy later on.
I had a tech tell me that the maxtor drive is bad but it doesn't make any niose or anything, uns excellent. I'm looking at WD black 1 TB hard drive and always use nvidia cards for video. I know I could have built a newer system but I had this mobo for 2 years so I bought new athlon for it early last year. My 20g drive in my other pc (which is an AMD sempron, I'm going to upgrade this cpu later) is going out, ubuntu tells me it has many bad sectors, windows told me this also, so I will move the maxtor over to that and use it as a wireless media center in my bedroom.

Last edited:
You don't specify what OS you plan on using, if XP is it you don't need 6g anyway, XP won't see any more than 3g. My new build is this, I understand it's not as fast as all of the others I have read but,
Case---------- 712 Black case with side window http://www.bccpc.com/712-4hlw-bk.htm
MB------------ Biostar GeForce 6100-M9
CPU----------- AMD Athlon 64 939 Socket
DVD----------- NEC DVD Burner
Ram----------- PNY Dual Channel 2048MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory (2 x 1024MB)
HDD----------- 120g Maxtor (a couple of years old)
OS------------ Windows XP Pro dual boot with Linux Ubuntu 9.10 (new to this)
Router---------Dlink DIR615
video card, newer dvd burner and floppy later on.
I had a tech tell me that the maxtor drive is bad but it doesn't make any niose or anything, uns excellent. I'm looking at WD black 1 TB hard drive and always use nvidia cards for video. I know I could have built a newer system but I had this mobo for 2 years so I bought new athlon for it early last year. My 20g drive in my other pc (which is an AMD sempron, I'm going to upgrade this cpu later) is going out, ubuntu tells me it has many bad sectors, windows told me this also, so I will move the maxtor over to that and use it as a wireless media center in my bedroom.

lol thread hijack! ;P

seriously though dude, your system is ancient and what does any of this have to do with his new build?

XP does have a 64-bit version which would support more RAM.

Who puts a thousand dollars into a PC just to run XP? there are exceptions, but you get my point. Even then, you could just VM it.

note: using DX10 cards with xp is as foolish as using DX9 cards with windows 3.1. There is no reason for anyone to still be using XP unless they cannot yet afford Win7 (or haven't pirated a copy) or don't ever intend on playing any game above DX9 or ever using GPU acceleration.

Last edited:
Back