• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New AMD Machine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I started working on my first tube and after one practice tube and two hours later I have a tube that I tested and the bends don’t have any issues with leaking. Here it is the first hard tube installed. Now that I have this completed I’m going to break for lunch and then take the v8 GTS off, put the water block on and get the remaining two tubes made. At this rate maybe I’ll have way more tubing then need but better more then running out.
04BFABD5-4097-4979-AB99-212819905EB7.jpeg

I got my graphics card up on a riser, the water block and replacement Corsair HD120RGB 120mm fans that I think are better and motherboard controlled over the Thermaltake fans. In addition I have three Corsair LL140RGB fans working as a chimney.
13A77B0F-34F8-4856-B234-E7CCD912DBE2.jpeg
5712365B-25E4-4708-8D60-8AA71B795261.jpeg
With this complete now my procrastination is complete and I will get the last two tubes bent.

I burned through three tubes trying to get this second tube right. On the second tube I had the bright idea of hacking the tube up into pieces and using it like a puzzle and used the plastic wrap it came in to hold it together to prototype the tube I got in the following shop. That really helped me plan the bends to get it right. :D

F0616EC0-1541-41A6-9AC1-A37ACC672CFB.jpeg

Now the shot of the machine with the second tube. The moisture in the tube is water. I ran water through the tube to check for leaks and was very pleased it had none.

I have a power supply large pin dummy plug that will allow me to energize the water cooling loop without energyzing the computer to do a final dry run of the loop without risking my machine if it has a leak ... just in case.

ECDAE4D5-26D2-428D-8937-7E5D7FC8E49D.jpeg

Looks great, but all this hardness seems like more trouble than it's worth. Mine are rubberized, so I can twist and turn them as I wish.:)
HTML:
i
I like a shoe:)

I count 9 fans. Why not put 1 or 2 really big ones? Or home ac duct and cool everything at once? Perhaps too much turbulence with all the tiny fans.?

Looks great, but all this hardness seems like more trouble than it's worth. Mine are rubberized, so I can twist and turn them as I wish.:)
HTML:
i
I like a shoe:)

I count 9 fans. Why not put 1 or 2 really big ones? Or home ac duct and cool everything at once? Perhaps too much turbulence with all the tiny fans.?

Lol yeah my shoe. The super gaming machine and Taco fixes on the shoe. :clap: I’m just kidding. :grouphug:

Yes hard lines have been a giant pain in the butt. However I always thought that they look awesome. God willing I have my tubes done. Below is a photo of the finished loop. I just need to put the coolant in and plug in the dummy connector for the power supply so the machine itself doesn’t power on and I can test the water loop for leaks at the connectors.

A524C4D9-1B77-4E62-A415-5A0A522BEBFC.jpeg

A view from the top to confirm that the case can close.

5C664D07-8593-4E1B-B223-BA31128093AB.jpeg

If all goes well I can power her up nd put it through its paces.

Oh and there are 10 fans. Three intake, three on the radiator blowing out and up and three on the top blowing towards the front and out. My idea was to try as much as possible to avoid having the hot air from the radiator heading back to the motherboard area. Then the back fan I flipped and have it as a rear intake to bring in cool air over the motherboard.

Ah, Mama Mia that's a lot of fans. I have 5. (Wow, didn't think I have so many!)
Machine looks great! I'm afraid maintenance may be of interest difficulty due to pipes not bendy dandy.. do you have to disconnect them if say, need to remove video card?

Ah, Mama Mia that's a lot of fans. I have 5. (Wow, didn't think I have so many!)
Machine looks great! I'm afraid maintenance may be of interest difficulty due to pipes not bendy dandy.. do you have to disconnect them if say, need to remove video card?

I gave myself room to have full access to all the pci-e slots without touching the water loop.

The Corsair fans are controlled by the motherboard with the rgb powered by SATA from the rgb hubs that Corsair included.

So during the test I can see all the fans lighting up but only the Thermaltake fans are blowing because they get power off the usb which I guess has power.

I have the tank filled. I don’t know if I should add more water. If I power it off the reservoir fills back up and I don’t want it overfilling if I have to open it back up. So I guess I have extra coolant or do I fill it up while it’s running and then put the cap on and shut it off and make sure the cap is good and then call it a day?

8858B254-33E4-49BB-A13F-F5922FF9DA7A.jpeg

Well I have a problem. The loop appears to be fine but the cpu is way hot. I dot get it. It’s like the cpu water block isn’t transferring the heat but how is that possible?

Could there be an air bubble somewhere? You mentioned once water is shut off, reservior fills back up. But if you turn it back on and water begins to flow, could it cause a water bubble to happen somewhere?

Well I dunno:shrug: Taco has not reached hardlining level of enlightenment. No clue how it all works, but if there's a water pocket, it will cause all sorts of problems with water flow and if it's right inside the water block, itll cause overheating issues.

Uh, right? :shrug: I'm just still awake and trying to help figure it out. Surely you put wayerblock on cpu with good contact and enough paste, right?

Well I dunno:shrug: Taco has not reached hardlining level of enlightenment. No clue how it all works, but if there's a water pocket, it will cause all sorts of problems with water flow and if it's right inside the water block, itll cause overheating issues.

Uh, right? :shrug: I'm just still awake and trying to help figure it out. Surely you put wayerblock on cpu with good contact and enough paste, right?

The instructions did say to fill 80% of the way and leave the fill valve open for 24 hours in order for all the air to escape the loop. That part worked great but then I powered the machine on and it’s like there is no contact between the cpu and the water block. I drained the loop and disassembled the loop portion connecting to the block, but now I can’t find the wrench to get the bolts off. :(

I’m going to head to bed and continue this in the morning rested. I’ll check to see if the thermal paste shows signs of making contact with the processor.

Thanks for the help taco. :D good night.

Did you mean to say "air pocket"?

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

The instructions did say to fill 80% of the way and leave the fill valve open for 24 hours in order for all the air to escape the loop. That part worked great but then I powered the machine on and it’s like there is no contact between the cpu and the water block. I drained the loop and disassembled the loop portion connecting to the block, but now I can’t find the wrench to get the bolts off. :(

I’m going to head to bed and continue this in the morning rested. I’ll check to see if the thermal paste shows signs of making contact with the processor.

Thanks for the help taco. :D good night.

For this reason I have no illusions about doing a hard tube water cooling system. It's too much like carpentry. If you cut it too short, it's too short. If you cut it too long you can shorten it but soon as you do you find you took too much off.

I couldn’t sleep. I found the issue, the cpu water block wasn’t making enough contact with the processor because who knows why. I took it off, looked at it and put it back on and it instantly had the feel of the thermal grease holding onto it. I’ll chalk it up to God pulling my leg.

Here it is running. C652ABD3-3EA7-4062-B18C-696BC9194393.jpeg

I’ll edit this in just one moment when I flip back to my computer to grab the screen shot of HWInfo and maybe I’ll run r15 real quick. I want to stay up for a while now to monitor the tubes.

Very good! Although it does look it's running a little hot because it's all red:eek:

Trent's, sir, yes I meant air pocket:)

Very good! Although it does look it's running a little hot because it's all red:eek:

Trent's, sir, yes I meant air pocket:)

It actually runs really cool on load now even in a 25C room.

I just power cycled the machine to put a power meter in and check and see what my power draw is so that is why the uptime is short. I wouldn't pay too much attention to the clock speed of the processor. It seems HWMonitor is wildly inaccurate in that department although I don't fully understand why.
Capture.PNG

Last edited:
According to Artic Silver the AS5 compound takes a little while to fully bond. I might be able to get above the 4GHz ceiling in a week or so but probably not.

That said my idle temperature in a 25C room is ~37-40C. When running Cinebench R15 CPU the CPU appears to jump to 84C at ~4GHz which is a little more then I would like. I'll continue to play with the voltage to see if I can lower it without introducing instability which should hopefully help me shed 5C at max load. Although once I manage to get a lease on my own place and not just a room over in the great state of Texas I'll lower my ambient temperature to about 22C which should help with keeping the CPU temperature under control. The problem is the places I'm looking at seem to keep getting rented before I can apply just after I looked or they have a thing about no large dogs … come on Black Labs are sweet hearts. Bah :(

Enough about my problems on with the show. Just so it's clear I did not set the BIOS settings with AI3 it's just handy to be able to look at them while in windows. I have my memory at 3266MHz although looking at CPUZ it isn't quite there but still over 3200 at 3258MHz. I guess it fluctuates like the CPU speed. Interestingly enough the 2700X is faster in Single Core and Multicore then a Core i7-5960X which was super expensive back when I built my 5930K system. Because of the Ryzen platform a mainstream CPU exists in Intel's camp that stomps the 5960X just a few generations later. There is no doubt the single core in the 8700K is way faster then the 2700X. When the Ryzen 3700X comes out I'm hoping they focus on increasing the single core performance either through a higher clock speed or preferably better efficiency over adding more cores. I think 8 will be good for a while.
Capture.PNG

Why wait when you can press your luck today? I creeped up to a CPU ratio of 40.25 but the real progress was with the memory. The temperature range seems to be the same. I think this is the absolute fastest I am going to get the memory and it took some doing at 1.49v to achieve DDR4-3333. Earth Dog or any of the overclocking experts please let me know if this is too high for everyday and I'll drop back down to 1.45v and 3266 speeds.

Capture.PNG

Back