• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEW AMD retention system!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Diggrr

Underwater Senior Member
Looks alright to me, though I wonder how their going to balance it to avoid a crooked install (or chipped core). Springs on the other side? I also hope there's some sort of non-conductive layer in there somewhere.

Spartacus51

Not entirely sure how it even works? posts coming through to other side, or screw holes in that to run screws into? Can't seem to find any info beyond that pic. I made something similar using a piece of plexi with 3" screws coming up that go through the 4 holes. I like it cause I don't have to remove my mobo to change my WB and didn't have to glue anything to the mobo.

OP
V

Vash

Registered
Yep, right now it seems that mum's the word...

Although, I am rather proud of AMD right now..

... a 64bit CONSUMER cpu , and one that runs (at undisclosed frequency anyway) stable in A0 silicon along with a motherboard chipset that is stable in A0 form. Most A0 stuff doesn't even work at all! Good job lol. Hopefully this new mounting system is gonna be as good or better than the Intel P4 setup...and it is beginning to look better, because AMD has learned from the problems Intel has been having with bent motherboards due to the 100+lbs of pressure of the CPU cooler. This backplate protects the mobo :)

Max Payneguin

Registered
Yea, when I first saw the hammer pix, I saw two screws attaching the HSF, but I didn't know what else was involved. I guess that this plate on the backside helps to spread the pressure out so that the mobo won't flex or break at the screw holes, and it keeps the screws in place, yay. Also, hammer will have a beefy heat-spreader similar to the P4 variety, so I don't think we'll have to worry about broken cores :D

occool

Registered
I think AMD should stay with what's already working fine. I'm not sure if you I want to change your cooling system (if you have expensive one) or look for a new ways to attach it if you decide to upgrade.

Iron Hawk

Max Payneguin said:
Yea, when I first saw the hammer pix, I saw two screws attaching the HSF, but I didn't know what else was involved. I guess that this plate on the backside helps to spread the pressure out so that the mobo won't flex or break at the screw holes, and it keeps the screws in place, yay. Also, hammer will have a beefy heat-spreader similar to the P4 variety, so I don't think we'll have to worry about broken cores :D

Wont the heat spreaders make it even harder to overclock?

OP
V

Vash

Registered
Nah, heat spreaders should AID in overclocking joy, due to their rather efficient nature (complete cpu core contact) and ability to create a larger contact area for heat dissipation.

Neco

I looked at that pic for 5 minutes and I really don't know what to make of it..

that could be ANYTHING .... and it still looks like it would require "mobo holes" which everyone says AMD is getting rid of.