• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New and Having Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoobComputer

Hi Everyone,

New to the thread. I have reviewed Overclockers forums in the past about great build and about 7 months ago I decided to build my own computer. I thought all went well for awhile anyways.... I am having some major issues... I am at a total loss. I have had nothing but issues with it. Built it myself probably why it is having issues. Loading smaller games it works fine. If I try to load a big game the computer freezes and restarts. About a month ago I was having random boot loop issues. I uninstalled Windows 10 and reloaded it. Everything worked good for awhile until I tried loading a big game. I have checked over the wiring multiple times, unplugged and plugged everything in. I am completely out of options and need some help. I know this is a lot to ask being new. I am just completely lost and stressed out. I just want to relax and game. I had future plans to overclock and learn how to do that. Another big reason why I joined. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Was an expensive build and sad that I am having issues.

Build:
Windows 10
Asus Z370e mother board
8700k intel processor
Asus GTX1080 video card
RM1000X power supply
1 stick 16 gig RAM
250g SSD
1TB hard drive

Did you check for stability by stress testing the build?
If you were thinking of over clocking in the future, then that probably means system is running stock frequencies.

First step is probably run a stress test to see if errors come up. Wow, 1 stick of 16gb ram. How fast is it? Does it run in extreme memory profile(xmp)?

How are the temperatures?

What is the make and model of the RAM? What are you cooling the 8700k with? Those CPUs run hot and need good cooling.

Tell us about the make and model of your case and about your case fans (How many, how big, which way are they blowing with regard to intake and exhausting of air).

Have you done any temp monitoring with say, HWMonitor?

did you make sure the ram you got was on the QVL? also have you tried putting the ram in different slots? I know on my x399 board I went by the manual and it wouldn't boot, switched the ram to different slots and everything works fine now.

I doubt if being on the QVL list is an issue. It seldom is. But moving the one stick to another slot might be a good idea. Check your manual. Some motherboards need to have certain RAM slots populated when not filling them all or they are not stable.

comp build.PNG

- - - Updated - - -

Temps are all good. Runs cool. Checked manual ram is in the correct spot for only one stick. What is a good program to stress test build? How do I use it? What should I be looking for? Never done one before.

There are lots of good options for stress testing. Some of them have built-in temp monitors. Some don't. For those that don't, use something like HWMonitor (non pro version) and have it open while running the stress test.

Some good stress testers are: AIDA64 Extreme, Prime95, OCCT, Realbench.

My two favorites are OCCT and Realbench.

OCCT both allow you to set the time length of the stress test. Both test AVX instructions. Both have temp monitors built-in. Realbench also stresses the video card through OpenCL rendering. Run OCCT for 2-3 hr and Realbench for 3-4 hr. If you can pass those two for that length of time your system should be plenty stable for everyday use.

I would also use memtest86 to check your RAM viability. You can install it on either a self-booting flash drive or an optical disk. In fact, I would do this first.

By the way, please download and install "CPU-z". launch the program and attach pics using the "Go Advanced" button at the lower right corner of any new post window. Please crop the pics first (Windows "Snipping Tool" is good for this) but attach pics of these three program tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD". That will give us lots of info about your system and your bios settings.

Edit: Idle temps are not helpful. Load temps are what counts. Max acceptable temps are, technically speaking, anything under 100 celcius which is where thermal throttling will take place. Practically speaking, I would limit yourself to low 90s celcius when stress testing.

Last edited:
Most of important stuff was covered. Taco will add photos because:
:pics:

Anyways:
-occt: pick the "occt" test and click green button, it will start the test. If something breaks, you'll get error message or PC will freeze or blue screen appears with a bunch of text. If it does, ****let us know what it said****
View attachment 199442

If you choose realbench, choose "infinite" and click start. It's more of a "real world" stress test. I don't trust it loading the system hard enough. I like stressful tests more, but anyways, it should give you some sort of error I'd something is unstable, or computer will freeze or crash...
Don't move mouse during tests. It stops them if you do.
View attachment 199443

I really like prime95. Choose blend and click ok. Tests will start. It will test everything. Except video card.
View attachment 199444
If something is wrong, it'll stop a worker(window) and tell you something is inconsistent. Let us know what it says. Or it may freeze or blue screen with bunch of text.
Looks something like this during stress: if everything is going good, all windows typically say the same type of text.
View attachment 199445

Also, down load cpu-z like Trent's said and open 3 of them, clicking 3 times. That way you can see simultaneously separate tabs. Open cpu in one, memory in other and spd in last one like he said. Looks something like this:
View attachment 199446

Let us know how it went.
One more thing, if it's a video card malfunction, you may need to run "video card" portion of occt or download furmark to test video card. Using it is typically same as others. You'll figure it out because you're fairly ahead of the curve than most by building your own rig. Good luck

Taco out.
Drinking late night tea(with lemon)

OK so you have issues loading big games is that it? I assume those games are on the 1 TB HDD if so how old is that drive, re-used from an old system? Could be that drive that is having the problem

I would debloat win10 first things first removing all telemtry bs. Take control of your startups, task scheduling bloat, and anything else that likes to call home etc with a proper fw gui (I use windows fw control in 7-wfc). Add another 16gb stick to run in dual memory mode. Also, disable all services that you don't need or use. Basically trim it down to run as clean as possible, then test your games. All that will require lots of work in and of itself but will definitely give you a faster, more secure setup.
When I put my system together it was plug and play, and overclocking to 4.5 from 3.7 was like pushing a button because I researched everything first. Trimming it down even more, so that it does exactly and only what I want it to do takes like forever but you learn a lot in the process. Learning is the key here, not highscores and fps. That setup is great, you just need to teach it that YOU are the boss and it is not.

I just bought a 7" droid tablet by acer (iconia one 7 b1-730 with intel atom max 1.6ghz dual core). Found the root process off a reddit link, gutted everything. Clock, calendar, contacts and storage, camera, gallery, acer everything including the updater itself, youtube, all the bloat, everything, completely uninstalled. The only google left is services framework which is disabled and the text to speech which is used ONLY for the osmand mapping voice output. I left the launcher alone as it works and I see no need to change it. I didn't even want the gps but since it has one that is the only reason google still exists is only for the speech engine. The framework (gsf) is just a name for the specific portion that many aps need to communicate with the device itself and neither it nor the speech engine get internet access. Point is, your pc is rooted already. You just need to either disable and/or uninstall/install what is necessary to you. To hell with what the manufacturers want or have installed. As they say, the more you know, the better off you will be. What MS or someone else knows means nothing.
Just make sure you have a good backup program (system restore is absolute garbage). I use veeam and it's free.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone, Sorry for the delay been a busy weekend.
Okay.... First I ran Prime95 Froze in 5 mins. Tried Windows Memory Diag tool. Ran for 18 hours was froze on 21% on the first pass. Then loaded memtest86 V7.5 and ran that. 3hours later the RAM passed no issues. Ran FurMark for 10 mins. GPU Leveled out at 81C. Reran Prime 95 for about 10 mins. Had 2 errors "Fatal Error running was 0.499 expected less then 0.4. and Rounding was 0.5 expected less then 0.4. Highest any of the CPU cores got to was 100C but not over that. Some people told me that Intels run hot... No Idea where to go from here. I hope I did the tests right and the pics are the right ones.

stress2.PNG

stress3.PNG

Capture.PNG

Updated BIOS to 0805 Version. Reran Prime 95 for over 4 hours temps looked good and no errors or warnings. I will try a game tonight and see what happens.

prime95 good.PNG

Back