• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New ASUS MB, gets RGB lights but will not boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sigur Ros

Registered
New build today, but won't boot.

New:
MB: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming-Plus
RAM: Patriot Steel Series 32GB kit #PVS432G360C8K
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

Pulled from working system:
PSU: 700W (name brand, but I don't remember it)
GPU: ASRock RX570

I installed everything into the new build, and when I power up the PSU, some RGB lights appear on the motherboard. But when I try to boot up... not a thing happens. No fans, no lights, not even the debugging QLEDs on the MB will light up. I called ASUS, and after trying a few things that I had already tried myself... and then doing things like "hit delete a lot when you turn it on", after telling him it doesn't "turn on"... he finally said my MB is bad and I should return it to NewEgg for another. I didn't mind since I bought 2 motherboard for 2 builds.

But.. when I installed the second MB... all the same issues.

As for the PSU, I literally pulled it from the PC my son used for gaming this morning.

Is it common to have 2 bad motherboards or might there be something I am missing?

I started unplugging things, one after the other, hoping at some point it would turn on. But even with just the 24-pin and 8-pin power connectors, the CPU and fan... not a thing.
Including no QLED lights to help me.

I know this is a tough one to help with online, but man.. I'm stuck.
Thanks

I would remove it from the PC, put it on some box so you are sure there isn't any short and start it like that shorting 2 pins from power button. Fans should spin without anything additional like graphics card, drives or anything else. Start with CPU+mobo+PSU and nothing else.

1. check if there is no short on the back of the motherboard
2. check if you connected power button correctly, it can be one pin too far or in power LED pins instead of power button
3. check if it works when you short power button pins with a screwdriver or other metal item (power button can be broken)
4. check if all power cables are connected, 4/8pin power +24pin
5. check if it acts the same without VGA card, some motherboards have problems to start with specific graphics cards
6. reseat the CPU (but you checked on 2 mobos so it can't be the CPU socket)
7. clear CMOS, remove battery for 2-3 mins, short CMOS pins

I would remove it from the PC, put it on some box so you are sure there isn't any short and start it like that shorting 2 pins from power button. Fans should spin without anything additional like graphics card, drives or anything else. Start with CPU+mobo+PSU and nothing else.

1. check if there is no short on the back of the motherboard
2. check if you connected power button correctly, it can be one pin too far or in power LED pins instead of power button
3. check if it works when you short power button pins with a screwdriver or other metal item (power button can be broken)
4. check if all power cables are connected, 4/8pin power +24pin
5. check if it acts the same without VGA card, some motherboards have problems to start with specific graphics cards
6. reseat the CPU (but you checked on 2 mobos so it can't be the CPU socket)
7. clear CMOS, remove battery for 2-3 mins, short CMOS pins

Thank you.
I will take the MB out to avoid shorts.
As for the power button, I tried it both ways it can go and I did also try jumping it with a screwdriver thinking that would rule out the case switch.
I have the 24 pin and the 8 (4+4) pin plugged in good and firmly. I did try with and without graphics card, and ASUS tech support did have me reset the bios on the first one.
But, I will do all that you say and see if this helps.

Thank you very much for taking the time.

So out of the case, on the MB box, it still wouldn't power up, other than those few RGB.
I realized I had taken a fan from the old case that has the older 4-pin style plug so it is powered directly by the power supply, not the MB, and it didn't power on either. (Tested that with a second fan too). At this point I'm wondering if something happened to the power supply during the switch ?

Also, in the image attached, there is a 4-pin connector next to the 8-pin ATX connector. Is it required to be filled ?
I saw someone's review saying it does (that's the image I borrowed this from). But my power supply does not have an extra 4-pin connector for that. I have 2 4-pins in the 8-pin port.
That port the red arrow is pointing at, is empty. Is this wrong ?

MB 4-pin.png

I doubt you had two bad motherboards and would start looking at other parts. I had a pc do something similar not too long ago. I took the old apart, put it back together a couple days later in a new case and the PSU died somehow in the time from moving from one room to the next. No clue how but it did. Replaced it and all was fine. But before replacing parts I would take the whole thing apart, reseat the CPU, reseat the cooler and plug the minimum amount of parts like the CPU fan and memory to see if it kicks on. Also try one stick of memory, then your other stick one at a time. Try the single stick in different slots too. If it starts up at any point add one new piece, if it starts, add another, and so on until you find the piece causing issues. I know it sounds like a ton of work but it will narrow down the issue in the end.

My ASUS Z490-E (Intel but similar generation) lists that cable as optional but I installed it since I had the cable already. Double check your manual to see what it says for that board specifically.

I doubt you had two bad motherboards and would start looking at other parts. I had a pc do something similar not too long ago. I took the old apart, put it back together a couple days later in a new case and the PSU died somehow in the time from moving from one room to the next. No clue how but it did. Replaced it and all was fine. But before replacing parts I would take the whole thing apart, reseat the CPU, reseat the cooler and plug the minimum amount of parts like the CPU fan and memory to see if it kicks on. Also try one stick of memory, then your other stick one at a time. Try the single stick in different slots too. If it starts up at any point add one new piece, if it starts, add another, and so on until you find the piece causing issues. I know it sounds like a ton of work but it will narrow down the issue in the end.

My ASUS Z490-E (Intel but similar generation) lists that cable as optional but I installed it since I had the cable already. Double check your manual to see what it says for that board specifically.

Thank you for the reply, BugFreak.
I have a feeling mine did the same thing. Power supply went bad when moving (?) Seems so strange, I didn't drop it or bump it or anything. It was a Cooler Master 700W but it was pretty old at this point. I picked up a new Corsair 750W. (I always research first, but didn't for that Corsair, so if it's bad, don't tell me) ;)

The manual was vague on that 4-pin plug which is why I had asked. It just said don't plug in the 4-pin only, make sure to have the 8-pin connected also (or something like that). The guy at the store said it wasn't necessary and the new PS doesn't have the connection available anyway. I'll assume it's optional since everything seems to be working so far.

Regardless, with the new PS, we are up and running. As you suggested I had already reseated everything, more than once, in both boards.
Thank you, and Woomack, both... for the help.
It is very much appreciated.

Glad it worked out. From what I understand that plug is designed for "extreme overclocking" per some websites and various threads I found when building mine. No clue what that means and never did find a definitive answer on what that means for my board. I just plugged it because my PSU had it available. I'm sure you will be fine without it.

Glad it worked out. From what I understand that plug is designed for "extreme overclocking" per some websites and various threads I found when building mine. No clue what that means and never did find a definitive answer on what that means for my board. I just plugged it because my PSU had it available. I'm sure you will be fine without it.

Thanks again for the info!

Back