• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New at o'cing....Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

danzio

I have been running my XP 2500+ at 210x11.5 and 1.7v for a week or so with no ill effects. I decided to push it a little more and upped the volts to 1.8, set fsb @ 213 and multiplier at 12. Booted no problem, but when I ran 3DMark03 my score dropped from 6204 to 5940. I don't understand exactly what to do with my memory when I change fsb. Is this my problem?

Balance of sys.
Abit NF7-S
Corsair value select (2)x 512 PC3200
ATI Sapphire 9800 PRO x 128
Zalman cu6000 HSF (or something like that) it's big and heavy.

BTW, temps do not seem to be a problem. MBM rarely reports over 50c and we have had some blistering days here lately.

Thanks,
Dan

kiyoshilionz

Possibly it changed the timings of the memory when you increased the FSB. Also, since it's only PC3200 RAM then it could be falling off on its bandwidth efficiency. Lower efficiency means that it doesn't use the increase in speed very well. Stability could be a problem too, when I ran my computer anything above 240, programs would crash all over the place.

hUMANbEATbOX

Contributing Member
also, 3dM03 is not very cpu dependant at all. I doubt you would see much increase in your score, just by ocing your cpu.

that said, it shouldn't DROP when you raise your MHZ.

try running a few times, as scores can vary wildly from test to test. make sure to defragment your drive, and rebooting in between changes will help.a diff of a few hundred is nothing to worry about, but you should be able to get it back up and beyond. it took me much to get to 6000, i bet if i ran it now, i'd only hit 5500 or something.

OP
D

danzio

I realize the benchmarking scores are not the best indicator of system performance but a drop of almost 300 points seems to indicate something is amiss.

I guess my real question here is what to do with the memory voltage. I don't understand the correlation between mem timings and fsb. I have fooled a little with the mem timings in BIOS but with poor results. I am running default (optimal) settings. Other settings caused problems. Should I be increasing the mem voltage in BIOS?