• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New ATI stuff in the pike?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MidnightQ4

Registered
Any word on when the new ATI crossfire RD580 boards will be out? I read early to mid January on anandtech. I'm thinking those will be pretty good with full dual 16x support and with the option to run mixed speed graphics cards I might start with an 1800xt then add on an 1800xt or something even better later in a year or so, whenever the next 30 fps game comes out. I really don't care about AA, so long as I can get good fps at 1024 or higher I will be happy. Q4 runs like a dog on my 9800 pro.

Basically I just want to wait and see what the new ATI GPUs will look like wihch are coming out sooner than everyone thinks. I see it playing out like this:

Nvidia releases the 7800 GTX 512 card just before the ATI 1800XT is on the shelves so they can retain the performance crown. But then ATI will go ahead and release their new R580 GPU cards in Jan to try and one up Nvidia and get the speed crown back. This will drive down prices on both sides obviously. So I think at this point in time it will pay off to wait two months, because on top of ATI and Nvidia vying for the graphics card crown, new RD580 crossfire mobos should hopefully be hitting the shelves, and hopefully have some of the new powermanagement features and really high HTT speeds.

RJARRRPCGP

Yep, it looks like Nvidia may loose this time, because GeForce 7800 GTXs still easily cost $700 dollars, just like when they first came out. Rediculous. :argue:

Saw a Radeon X1800XT that costed no more than around $500 dollars with similar clocks.