• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New ATI user(need some tips on CAT tweaks)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Puer Aeternus

I just got my 9700 pro today :thup: I did a clean install of win xp, loaded up the essentials then the latest cat drivers. I left the settings on default and tried Morrowind at 1600x1200 and noticed some slow down in the game. I expected it to run smooth as it is an older game. I then tried the suffering(1024x780) which by no means has advanced graphics..same thing, noticable lag?

So then...advice for a new 9700 Pro user. What are the best drivers for this card, are my settings too high(balanced) and my expectations?
Much thanks!

(BTW I have Rage 3D yweak installed as well...still getting the hang of it)

michaelkahl

morrowind is a pretty intensive game from what i know of it...maybe 1600x1200 is two much to expect with alot of eyecandy, but there is still alot that card can do and you should be somewhat pleased with it...my x800 is about 2x faster than that card, but the 9700pro has alot of juice left in her i think. I'd disable AGP fastwrite in the bios and set you aperature to 128 or 256mb...not sure which is better, I use 256 with my card. I hope you enjoy it.

OP
Puer Aeternus

Puer Aeternus

Fast writes are off. last I looked aperature was set at 128..I will have to double check that :)
I just did a 3dmark 03 bench and got 4842, This is about 2000 marks higher than my ti4200 :clap: .

Yuriman

Personaly I get better performance with apeture at like 32mb. Its like a swap file for you card, to dumb desktop stuff while you game or whatnot. Anyway I'vemonitored it and it's never used more than about 12mb so your just wasting ram.

For higher performance, do you have AA and AF on? AF doesnt take a lot of hit and I see a MUCH bigger difference than with AA on. Try running no AA with 16 AF at 1152x864, thats what I run everything at.

OP
Puer Aeternus

Puer Aeternus

The reason I bought this card was so i could play games w/ AA and AF turned on? Maybe I expected too much. I will fiddle w/ the 3D settings some more to see if I cannot find a balance between the quality Graphics and performance in gameplay I want.
Thanks guys!

Edit: How do i set up clone mode w/ this card?

Last edited:

Yuriman

Try this:
Driversettings.JPG

I keep all of the sliders at full except AA. The card doesnt take more than a 15% hit with all of those enabled, but AA cuts the performance in half. The textures will look beautiful and at 1152, I realy dont notice the jaggies at all.

Ohh btw im using omega drivers.

Mr.Guvernment

my 9700PRO did it for me till i sold it :) i play ut2k4 @ 1600 x 1200 with eye candy - play farcry @ 1280 x 1024 and most all setting on high high - but no aa or af :D

you should be impressed over a ti4200

OP
Puer Aeternus

Puer Aeternus

Since I do not have my copy of Far Cry here I have to use UT2004 for testing. AT x2AA and x8AF w/ full in game settings UT2004 plays as smooth as Buttah :attn: I wil try it w/ AA off and x18AF as Yuriman suggested to see what the visual differences are like. Unfortuantly "The Suffering" still runs as fast Molasses on a cold day :confused: It might just need a patch. So far so good w/ this card..I am happy w/ it for the price I got it for.

Edit: Cereal Killer...do you notice a visual diff w/ Vsync off? I have always kept it off w/ all my previous vid cards.

Yuriman

Vertical sync just prevents your card from running higher fps than your monitor can display. If your monitor cant display it, what good does it do you? Besides, sometimes the card getsa bit ahead(I think) and causes tearing, which looks like it sounds.

OP
Puer Aeternus

Puer Aeternus

Anyone here know how to set up the TV out? The nvida drivers made it pretty easy..but I am looking at display settings on the ATI properties and the TV is listed but nowhere do i see a Dual/Clone display option?

Mr.Guvernment

make sure your tv is plugged into the s-video and turned on, then reboot your system - you should get some ATI wizard - or used to if not then just go to display control panel / advance / displays