• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Barton revisited-

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ble81

Ok, you probably already know about my challenges with this new chip. And my overclocking experiences with it. Here you can check it out:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=309905

Yesterday (7/03/04) I decided to try to bump it up again - (Like I didn't learn alot the first time.) Since I started everything back to square One I started with the FSB at 166 x 11 (1830Mhz) and I am slowly bumping it up
167, 168, ...170, 175, 180,......189 Right now and it seems to be Stable. ...So Far. at 188 I bumped up my voltage to the Vcore from 1.625V to 1.650V and bumped up the Memory from 2.55v to 2.65v looks stable. so let's try another one...189 x 11 = 2083.01 Mhz 1.650V and bump the Vdimm up to 2.750v.. at the moment it looks pretty stable so I am going to leave it alone for a while.

Any suggestions on how I can get it to a higher FSB and Mhz?? If I can get at the very least 2100Mhz from this chip I will be happy with it.

Thanks
-Brian

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Where are all your specs, power supply name brand and the like...

There's nothing to go on here... :(

OP
ble81

ble81

System report - Because I forgot

oops sorry guys!! :eek:
Here is a rundown of my system.....

Abit Mother board KD7-E updated Bios (Flashed)
AMD XP 2500+ Barton CPU Running at 2083.01 Mhz (for now)
Cheiftech Power supply 420 Watts (ATX 420)
Memory 512MB PC2700 DDR333Mhz AIB With Heat Spreaders
Sound Blaster Live Value w/ Digital out
Video card Inno3d GeForce MX (440)SE w/TV SDR 64 MB
Hard Drive is 100Gig w/ 2Meg cache Buffer
CD-Rom 54X
CD-RW 48x 16x 48x
Modem (sorry not cable or DSL) 56k V.90
I am using water cooling at the moment as I specifically built this system to run water
cooling and my temps are:

CPU temp = 35°C(95°F)
System temp = 41°C(106°F).

I hope this is enough info for you guys.
Sorry I didn't include this before.

-Brian

Drec

well that chip can do 2300mhz easy..the only thing holding you back is your RAM id reccomend some pc3200 atleast.

fhanderson

Check the voltages on you powersupply to make sure they are in specs. and stable. Chieftec was using some Turbolink powersupplies which have very unstable voltages.

The Coolest

Drec: No, RAM is just one out of two things that are holding him back.

ble81: Your RAM was rated for 166MHz, and its unknown how high you can get it. but if you want to find out, set FSB to 133, and the RAM divider in a way your RAM will run at 166MHz, then start upping the FSB till you hit instability, then run memtest for 12 hours each time lowering the FSB if you get errors, until you can run it for 12+ hours without errors, when you find the MAX RAM speed, you will have a better idea of how high you can get your CPU theoretically. The second limiting factor is your motherboard. KT400s usually don't go much higher than high 180's or low 190's, so you might just be at the limit of your CPU.

There's one thing you can do tho:
You can mod your CPU into a mobile, then you will have control over the multiplier when you're in windows. You will have to set the FSB and voltage in the BIOS as usual, but you will be able to change multipliers with software, like GCPUID (my sig)

Jess1313

Everbody is probably right with there suggestions, one other thing have you tried higher voltages & does the chipset have voltage ajustments. Also do you have a heatsink & fan on the north bidge & a heatsink on the south bidge.

If the PCI bus is holding you back you could use a PCI card for the hard drives as some will take the high bus speed.

OP
ble81

ble81

I do agree with you too about my memory being part of my problems. This morning I looked at my specs and saw that sitting idle overnight that my memory is using up to 95% physical memory and something like 8% Virtual Memory. Now If there were a way to move the usage of my physical memory to another source like virtual memory that would ease up the physical memory and might give me a better o/c . Am I correct in my thinking on this??? I am using a screen saver but one it is "Pipes" from the windows system.

-Brian