• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEW bling bling blocks,when gold teeth just arent enough!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daemonfly

:rolleyes:

I've seen better finishes on plain polished copper & aluminum.

Didn't I read that Gold sucks at transfering heat(it actually reflects it?). I'm not sure, as I'd never bother with gold anyway.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
gold has the best electrical transfer of just about any metal on earth. but as far as heat goes it barly best out aluminm by just a few wmk. coper has over 100 points more and silver about another 150 points on coper though realworld preformance diffrence is only 1-2C on cu over al and probably about the same from sil to cu. biggest problem is that silver is verry soft.

frostmeister

OK, Dr science is sticking his oar in again, but no, gold isn't as good as copper and silver at conducting heat. It does have the property of not tarnishing (why they use it on decent plug and socket contacts) and being a good conductor of electricity, but again, not as good a conductor as copper or silver. Thermal and electrical conductivity are closely linked for metals, and electrical conductivity can be used to calculate thermal conductivity as both things rely on free electrons to transfer energy. As a reflector, they do use gold foil / gold plated components on satellites and some mirrors, as it's reflectivity is, I believe, most closely matched to sunlight. Hope this doesn't send you to sleep anyway :D

RoadWarrior

I think the use on Satellites might be due to how thin you can get a gold film without having pinholes in it. Other metals you can't get so thin sheets of. So in fact gold foil might be lighter than any other foil they can use because it's so much thinner.

Road Warrior

hellrazrblade

the good part is that the gold won't tarnish. the silver will, which makes it seem like a dumb idea to me.

also, the layer of gold/silver is so thin that it doesnt affect heat transfer much at all, if any.

frostmeister

well, excuse me for chipping in again with a small point; Going on roadwarrior's and keironholden's points, regarding gold and silver reflecting heat, the only reason silver tarnishes is because of levels of sulphur in the atmosphere. Since the industrial revolution, sulphur levels have been enough to tarnish silver over time. Before the 1700's silver never used to tarnish. Mind you, I don't think they had waterblocks back then.
Silver wouldn't tarnish on the important part contacting the CPU die though, so I can't see a silver waterblock having it's performance reduced because of tarnishing.

hellrazrblade

frostmeister said:
well, excuse me for chipping in again with a small point; Going on roadwarrior's and keironholden's points, regarding gold and silver reflecting heat, the only reason silver tarnishes is because of levels of sulphur in the atmosphere. Since the industrial revolution, sulphur levels have been enough to tarnish silver over time. Before the 1700's silver never used to tarnish. Mind you, I don't think they had waterblocks back then.
Silver wouldn't tarnish on the important part contacting the CPU die though, so I can't see a silver waterblock having it's performance reduced because of tarnishing.

nice history lesson :) , but the whole point of these things is to look "OH OH SHINY!" and the silver one just wont after a little while.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
thats a good point. yes the silver would be to thin to matter though. and gold just kinda puts a minor handycap on a good copper block. also on another side note they have begun using mylar as a replacment for gold foil on all space craft as its light and alot more durable and as far as reflecting light its got the numbers all around as it can deflect 98.4% of all light that contacts it. another reason its a good choice is beacouse of its much lower cost and ease of manufacturing 1mil mylar sheets.