• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Board and Chip

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Luchesi

Registered
Hello,
I am looking to purchase the 3.0ghrz Intel chip but am unsure what MOBO to get for it. I would like to Keep the existing RAM that i have now (1 ghrz RDRAM (800mhrz)) "if possible".

This machine will primarily be for gaming FPS etc...Can anyone suggest a paticular MOBO good for gaming? maybe overclocking may be a thing to keep in mind too ,there are probably many option and avenue's to take ,i would just like some opinions.

P4 2.0ghrz
Abit Th7-II Raid
1gig RDRAM
Geforce 4 TI4600
Audigy 2
Windows XP Pro (up to date)
All drivers are up to date

deadkenny

Well, insisting on RDRAM support is going to limit your choices. The latest and best P4 m/b's are dual channel DDR. Your best bet is something based on the 850 chipset. AFAIK there is no 800MHz FSB support, so if the 3.0GHz P4 you were considering is 800MHz FSB, then you can't use your RDRAM. The best you could do is to get a 533MHz FSB 3.06GHz P4, and then get an 850 chipset m/b that supports 533MHz FSB.

OP
L

Luchesi

Registered
Thank you for your response deadkenny, that is what i suspected , i think i may just upgrade everything . what about Intel vrs AMD (64bit processor) even though not much if nothing supports it yet , is it possiblly a better gaming chip ? the 3 gig is what i am refering to .I guess what i am looking for is a 3 gig system that work best for gaming . (Processor, MOBO and Memory) what would you suggest ?

lyle

SIS has a new P4/RDRAM chipset either out now or coming out very soon. It will support the "C" procs. I have not followed this too closely, but somebody should have a board out soon.

Link to the chipset info here

deadkenny

lyle said:
SIS has a new P4/RDRAM chipset either out now or coming out very soon. It will support the "C" procs. I have not followed this too closely, but somebody should have a board out soon.

Link to the chipset info here

Might be interesting, but I wouldn't want to be in the position of waiting for a SiS chipset release (they don't exactly have a great track record).

deadkenny

Luchesi said:
Thank you for your response deadkenny, that is what i suspected , i think i may just upgrade everything . what about Intel vrs AMD (64bit processor) even though not much if nothing supports it yet , is it possiblly a better gaming chip ? the 3 gig is what i am refering to .I guess what i am looking for is a 3 gig system that work best for gaming . (Processor, MOBO and Memory) what would you suggest ?

Tough call at this point. AMD 64bit is performance leader right now, even though there's not much in the way of 64bit apps at the moment. However, it's expensive, the platforms aren't 'tried and tested' yet and there's some question as to the future developments (socket design for future 64bit processors). Socket A is good value, but without much future upgrade potential. What's your budget? What exactly do you intend to do with the system? What's your upgrade / replacement horizon (i.e. do you expect the system to last for several years as is?).

OP
L

Luchesi

Registered
Well I'd like to keep it around $500-$600 (MOBO Processor and memory ) if possible, It is going to mainly be a gaming system.
sounds .I usually upgrade my system once a year and never the TOP chip "too much $$$" I have a fairly descent video card right now (GeForce 4 Ti 4600 128 ram) but i may go out and get the ATI big boy but my main focus is processor speed. i may have to breakdown and just go out and get the Intel 3 gig processor with a recomended MOBO and 1 gig of recomended memory. i have no idea what is the best memory is any more, i cant keep up with the memory race . as far as i know it is the DDR memory that is the best but what brand etc... "no clue" maybe you could steer me in the right direction for a good gaming system.
" i am preparing for DOOM 3"
by the way thank you all for your responses

deadkenny

Given the current situation with 64bit, and new platforms, I would recommend socket A. An nForce2 m/b with a Barton (fastest you can afford) and PC2700 DDR (PC3200 if you're going to OC or if you go with the XP3200 Barton - 400MHz FSB).

skidooosl

get the 2500 barton if you plan to go AMD( try for a week in the 30's after week 40 the multi is locked). they are by far the best barton core CPU's... u can expect 2.2ghz (xp3200 speed) easy and around 2.4 with a little voltage. plus the chip is only about $80 to $90. For the mobo... eaither a Abit NF7-S rev 2 or Epox 8RDA3+ rev 2. (both around $100) i would go for the Abit between those 2 if it was my choice, the Epox will allow higher chipset voltage (2v for epox 1.7 for abit) but getting a rev 2 epox is pretty much hit or miss.... newegg is still shipping rev1.X which has NO chipset voltage... as for ram Mushkin lvl2 black pc3200 or 3500... IMO it is some of the best ram you can get. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...146-292&catalog=147&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1

OP
L

Luchesi

Registered
Well looks like both of you are suggesting going with AMD ,I was thinking that that might be a good choice. so lets see a Barton CPU (socket A 400fsb)) with an nforce/2 MOBO (Abit NF7-S rev 2)and PC2700 DDR (or 3200)
looks like i am going shopping you guys have been a great help i will let you know in a week or two how it comes along.
By the way someone else i know suggested getting the nforce2 chipset as well looks like its a winner for me.
oh one more thing if i decide to get a Barton which of these 2 is a better overclocker (3200or the 3000)?

deadkenny

Note the connection between the RAM and FSB. You don't have to, but it's more efficient to run insync. So, if you get the 400MHz FSB processor (or OC the FSB to those levels) then get the PC3200 DDR to go with it. For a good OC'er, you should actually go with the XP2500 Barton. The multipliers are locked with the recent versions, but you can still OC the FSB, possibly up to 400MHz FSB. The nice thing about OC'ing on an nForce2 m/b is that the PCI / AGP bus is locked, so you can just run the FSB at whatever it will do (e.g. 192MHz). You don't have to get to the next 'level' (e.g. 200) in order for the correct divider to kick in.