• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New budget build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

electrorcamd

I'm thinking it's about time for me to upgrade my computer... I haven't really changed anything on it in a few years, so right now it's just a Sempron 64 @ 2.4, 1GB PC3200 RAM, and an FX5700LE video card. Details are in the sig.

I'm pretty out of date with all of the new stuff that's out now. The build is just for a basic setup, it'll get used for CAD a decent bit, but not much gaming. My newest game is probably 2-3 years old now, heh. I'll be keeping all of my drives, power supply, case, all of that stuff.

None of these components are really set in stone yet.
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250 3GHz: A Phenom II would be nicer, but this should still be a major improvement over what I have now. Seems to oc nicely as well.

RAM: Not idea. I'll get either 2GB or 4GB depending on what else I buy, looking at something like the Mushkin Enhanced Blackline. What are some recommendations for a set that preferably is rated for DDR3 1600, is good for some overclocking, and is fairly cheap?

Motherboard: No idea here, either. Just want something simple with AM3 support and 2 ps/2 ports, as well as good overclocking support. This MSI board seems pretty decent, as does this one. Or this Gigabyte one.
Anybody know anything on any of those, or have other recommendations? It seems like most of the reviews don't have the newer boards going past like 300MHz FSB. Are there any that do, or is that pretty much the limit?
My psu doesn't have the new 6(?) pin secondary mobo power connector, so I'd prefer to have a motherboard that just uses the 4 pin.

Video card: I'm lost here also. Right now my FX5700LE does okay for most stuff, though it struggles with stuff like GT Legends and GTR2. So as long as it's better than that, it should be okay. Looking at 3DMark, it seems even the integrated 8200 graphics on the msi board are better than what I have now. Is that about right?
It seems like the 9600GT is probably the best for around $80, though I'd like a little cheaper than that... I found an 8600GTS for 55, and then there's the GT 220 series all around 60. The 9600GT is still much better than any of those though, correct? (64 shaders vs 32 on the 8600 and 48 on the GT 220)

Any input on any of this?

OP
electrorcamd

electrorcamd

Hmm, certainly looks like a nice card for the price. Not sure I really need that much card at the moment though. Thanks for the recommendation though, and I'll keep it in mind.
Couple of other things I left out of the first post:
Prefer to stay with an nvidia video card for Linux support.
I'd like to keep the entire build at or less than $300.

Edit: Stuff I'm keeping:
  • Old AT keyboard with ps/2 adapter
  • ps/2 mouse
  • Seagate 80GB IDE hdd
  • Maxtor 40GB ide hdd
  • Seagate 1.5TB SATA hdd
  • IDE DVD-RW drive
  • IDE CD-RW drive
  • Acer X203W 20" lcd
  • Enermax 420W psu
  • Some old ATX case

GT3mich

Joeteck

Retired
Hmm, certainly looks like a nice card for the price. Not sure I really need that much card at the moment though. Thanks for the recommendation though, and I'll keep it in mind.
Couple of other things I left out of the first post:
Prefer to stay with an nvidia video card for Linux support.
I'd like to keep the entire build at or less than $300.

Edit: Stuff I'm keeping:
  • Old AT keyboard with ps/2 adapter
  • ps/2 mouse
  • Seagate 80GB IDE hdd
  • Maxtor 40GB ide hdd
  • Seagate 1.5TB SATA hdd
  • IDE DVD-RW drive
  • IDE CD-RW drive
  • Acer X203W 20" lcd
  • Enermax 420W psu
  • Some old ATX case

Whats the 12v rail rating on the enermax?

Joeteck

Retired
Yeah but thats more than what he wants to spend. Tomshardware's Best PCIe Card: Under $80 for January lists the 4650~$50 and the 4670/9600GSO~$65.
The later is more like $70 to $80

This one is $70 Nvidia
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130509

As is this one Readeon
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150450

Nothing worth buying in open box.

But a few bucks more gets him better performance... Does not matter, he wants to stick with Nvidia..

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Athlon II x2 240 CPU = $53 (FS)
Wintec 4 GB DDR2 800 RAM = $78 (FS)
ASRock A785GXH MOBO = $80 ($8 SH)
9600gt GPU = $80

Total = $291.

EDIT: Current PSU listed should be fine for this setup.

EDIT2: Or maybe a 94/9500gt. Im certain those are much faster than a card built in 2001 and will allow you a bit more for your CPU.

Thats not a big budget at all for what you are doing. You would be much better serverd with a tri/quad and better GPU *if the CAD application you use can utilize it*. May be best to save your money for a more significant upgrade.

OP
electrorcamd

electrorcamd

Athlon II x2 240 CPU = $53 (FS)
Wintec 4 GB DDR2 800 RAM = $78 (FS)
ASRock A785GXH MOBO = $80 ($8 SH)
9600gt GPU = $80

Total = $291.

EDIT: Current PSU listed should be fine for this setup.

EDIT2: Or maybe a 94/9500gt. Im certain those are much faster than a card built in 2001 and will allow you a bit more for your CPU.

Thats not a big budget at all for what you are doing. You would be much better serverd with a tri/quad and better GPU *if the CAD application you use can utilize it*. May be best to save your money for a more significant upgrade.
I know it's more expensive, but I'm pretty DDR3 would make a better choice so that it'd be a little more future-proof.

And yeah, the budget does definitely seem low for a CAD setup, but the biggest problem with my current setup is probably the RAM. 1GB definitely doesn't cut it anymore. I was actually going to just add some more RAM and call it good for now, but I realized I could do a reasonably better setup for this price. I'm not expecting it to be great or anything, just better than what I have now and upgradeable in the future without having to do a total rebuild again.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Judging by the way/frequency you upgrade, DDR3 would likely not be a better choice. There are very little performance gains out of it really, and its highly unlikely, again guessing by the way you seem to upgrade, that it will even warrant use in the future without a total rebuild.

Save your money, build something at least on the curve, not at the trailing edge of useable. ;)

Good luck man! :)

OP
electrorcamd

electrorcamd

Judging by the way/frequency you upgrade, DDR3 would likely not be a better choice. There are very little performance gains out of it really, and its highly unlikely, again guessing by the way you seem to upgrade, that it will even warrant use in the future without a total rebuild.

Save your money, build something at least on the curve, not at the trailing edge of useable. ;)

Good luck man! :)

Yeah, I really didn't intend to go that long without an upgrade, but I couldn't really justify the cost since I wasn't really do anything that needed anything better than what I had.
Anyway, how about something like this? Seems like it should have pretty good stock performance, overclock well, and still be upgradeable in the future if I decide I need to:
Total: 286 plus shipping

How good is that OCZ RAM? It's a decent price, but the reviews are kinda mixed on it.