• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build boots to bios not windows 10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

unboundfire

Registered
Hey all,

So I just finished putting my new build together and installed windows 10 using a Microsoft usb. Windows installed no problem and I got to the desktop. I shut down the pc and removed the usb from the pc. However, every time I boot up my pc it won’t boot directly to windows, it will instead boot to bios. I installed windows on my SSD and have the SSD in the first boot option but that’s not working. Only way for me to get back to windows is if I enter the boot options and select “windows boot manager” option. How do I fix this?

Also, I noticed that on startup and when I get to the American Megatrends screen it’s showing me and a CPU Fan error. I checked the motherboard and it’s plugged into the right spot. The cpu fan is also running fine. I did a google search thinking maybe this is preventing the pc from booting straight to windows so I changed the setting in bios for CPU fan from “n/a” to ignore and then saved changes and restarted but still didn’t boot to windows.

Here’s my build:
CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" SSD
GPU: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Black

Thanks

Nice looking build. What options are showing up in the windows boot manager? Sounds like something is corrupt, or its detecting multiple OS installs. Are both drives new or fresh formatted prior to install?

Nice looking build. What options are showing up in the windows boot manager? Sounds like something is corrupt, or its detecting multiple OS installs. Are both drives new or fresh formatted prior to install?

No options in the windows boot manager, windows boot manager is one of the options in my boot options within bios. Once I put windows boot manager as the first option and save and restart it will load windows. Both drives are brand new and formatted prior to install.

I had similar issues to you on my ASUS ROG Strix B450i Gaming with certain BIOS'. Are you running the latest BIOS? On mine the 2 previous ones created the cpu-fan error, but the latest had corrected it.

For your booting issue the only thing that comes to mind is the possibility of having it set to boot to BIOS which is an option on some boards. I'm not sure about yours though.

I had similar issues to you on my ASUS ROG Strix B450i Gaming with certain BIOS'. Are you running the latest BIOS? On mine the 2 previous ones created the cpu-fan error, but the latest had corrected it.

For your booting issue the only thing that comes to mind is the possibility of having it set to boot to BIOS which is an option on some boards. I'm not sure about yours though.

Im not running the latest version of bios. Is it too late to update bios at this point?

I’ll take a look again and see if booting to bios is an option but I spent about half an hour looking around bios and don’t remember seeing this.

You can update the BIOS. Do this first.

Does your drive even show up as a boot option in the bios?

How about you take some pics of hte BIOS screen showing the HDD and boot priority, etc and host them here at the site so we can see.

You can update the BIOS. Do this first.

Does your drive even show up as a boot option in the bios?

How about you take some pics of hte BIOS screen showing the HDD and boot priority, etc and host them here at the site so we can see.

Going to have to download the latest bios onto a usb and do it via bios then.

My drive does show up as a boot option.

I’ll take some pics of bios in a few hours when I get back home and put them up.

Thanks for the help

Going to have to download the latest bios onto a usb and do it via bios then.
This is the preferred method anyway. :)

Have you tried a repair install on Windows? Maybe do that (after you reset the BIOS - I don't imagine that will solve things by itself).

This is the preferred method anyway. :)

Have you tried a repair install on Windows? Maybe do that (after you reset the BIOS - I don't imagine that will solve things by itself).

I haven’t tried a repair install on windows I’ll give a shot after I update bios though

You can save screen shots to USB drive by pressing F12 in the BIOS/UEFI, the USB drive must be FAT32.

I think this problem may be related to the CPU fan error. Is there an option to disable this in bios? There is an option of this nature on a lot of motherboards. I've had this issue when the CPU cooler fan would was below a certain RPM level at boot.

Looks like he tried that in the first post. :)
so I changed the setting in bios for CPU fan from “n/a” to ignore and then saved changes and restarted but still didn’t boot to windows.

Only way for me to get back to windows is if I enter the boot options and select “windows boot manager” option. How do I fix this?
Reading things again myself, this is how it should be!!! Windows 10 (maybe windows 8 too?) creates that boot manager option and should be the boot device not the actual ssd itself.

Reading things again myself, this is how it should be!!! Windows 10 (maybe windows 8 too?) creates that boot manager option and should be the boot device not the actual ssd itself.

That sounds right, he should go in to MSCONFIG and in the Boot tab check the the SSD is highlighted as boot drive.

So in summary, whenever the OP comes back, we need...

BIOS screenshots of the Boot section as well as the MSCONFIG windows and the boot tab there. :)

Did you get this fixed? I had a similar issue with my Gigabyte B450. Swapped drives fresh install of Windows 10. Fixed it for a bit then kept booting to BIOS or would not find boot device. Repaired windows a few times, it would go away and come back quickly.

Eventually it booted to BIOS and I said screw it let's reset to optimized defaults. And the problem has been gone and stayed gone.

Hey all,

So I just finished putting my new build together and installed windows 10 using a Microsoft usb. Windows installed no problem and I got to the desktop. I shut down the pc and removed the usb from the pc. However, every time I boot up my pc it won’t boot directly to windows, it will instead boot to bios. I installed windows on my SSD and have the SSD in the first boot option but that’s not working. Only way for me to get back to windows is if I enter the boot options and select “windows boot manager” option. How do I fix this?

Also, I noticed that on startup and when I get to the American Megatrends screen it’s showing me and a CPU Fan error. I checked the motherboard and it’s plugged into the right spot. The cpu fan is also running fine. I did a google search thinking maybe this is preventing the pc from booting straight to windows so I changed the setting in bios for CPU fan from “n/a” to ignore and then saved changes and restarted but still didn’t boot to windows.

Here’s my build:
CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" SSD
GPU: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Black

Thanks

Make sure Windows Boot Manager is configured to be the first boot option in the bios boot sequence and not some other storage device.

Yep, that's where we last left it a couple of weeks back...

... waiting for the OP to return and confirm.

Back