• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build Can’t get Windows to Install via USB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

animalmom

Registered
Hi,

I have finished putting together my build and I am stuck.

I am in BIOS, I have my windows 10 install USB Stick that came with my windows license.

Under “storage information” I can see the M2 drive I want to install Windows on and the USB “KDI-MSFT Windows 10 PMAP”

However, when I turn on the computer it gets to code A9 and goes into BIOS

Under Boot Menu it says “the system cannot find any bootable devices”

Normally when I built a computer I could select the boot order but I can’t figure out how.

I thought the computer would just boot off the USB stick and go into setup.

Any ideas?

is the m.2 drive new. Is it formatted in some obscure file system?

The M2 drive is my old drive that has the old windows install and data on it.

I was going to boot from the USB drive and install windows with it on the M2 and reformat it in the process

But I can’t get it to boot on the USB drive for the windows install

https://ibb.co/J7g8P3G

Thats the windows USB flash drive

Boot order will be in the boot section. If that doesnt work, consider heading to MS website and rebuilding the usb stick. I assume you have the code elsewhere or can get it from the stick?

I would erase the m.2 and see if that helps. sometimes when there are legit windows files on one, windows can look past it

I would erase the m.2 and see if that helps. sometimes when there are legit windows files on one, windows can look past it
The USB stick should still be visible though. I would do a cleanall with diskpart on the USB stick and make the installer again. Make sure to pay attention to UEFI or legacy when making the installer. If the mobo is new enough to support m2, I think a UEFI stick is a safe bet.

The USB stick should still be visible though. I would do a cleanall with diskpart on the USB stick and make the installer again. Make sure to pay attention to UEFI or legacy when making the installer. If the mobo is new enough to support m2, I think a UEFI stick is a safe bet.

Can you explain what you mean about UEFI or Legacy?

I have never made a USB stick

In bios, make sure your USB settings are set to recognize both UEFI and legacy.

If that doesn't change anything, as the others have said, go to Microsoft's Media Creation Tool website and make a fresh USB installer. Of course, you would need another working computer to do this.

If this is not already solved, you can do the following:
Download the windows 10 iso from the Microsoft website , and press F12.
Click on the tiny buton fro mthe left and choose a device name, after doing that refresh the page by pressing F5.
windownload.jpg
After doing so you will be presented with an option to download windows as a ISO.

When your download is complete , insert a USB stick in a windows machine and start rufus
In Rufus, select you USB device, pick the ISO that you just downloaded, and most importantly , when choosing the partition table, pick ,,GPT''

If you follow this awfully written tutorial there is no way you will have issues as the image you get is the latest retail windows 10 version, and the USB device is by default uefi bootable because of it being gpt.

An easier alternative for the iso download is to just use a android phone to download the iso and send it to your pc .

Thanks I did solve it but I am. It sure how. One time it just worked. Didn’t change anything

This is a common issue during Windows install. And it can be fixed easily with the following two things:

1> Change the BIOS mode (e.g from legacy to UEFI)

2> Re-burn Windows 10 ISO to USB with another tool.

My suggest is redownload Windows 10 iso file and burn it to an empty USB (USB is at least 32GB).The DVD and CD are also good,but i am used to burning USB to a boot disk,then insert the boot disk into computer,remember to change the boot order of the device in the Biso menu.

My suggest is redownload Windows 10 iso file and burn it to an empty USB (USB is at least 32GB).The DVD and CD are also good,but i am used to burning USB to a boot disk,then insert the boot disk into computer,remember to change the boot order of the device in the Biso menu.
I did not elaborate on the above how to create a Windows 10 boot disk,if you want to know,you can open your Google search bar, enter the keywords you want to know, or click the link i shared.Or go Microsoft website to get a Windows 10 installation media tool.

Back