• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build for 1440p gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If he is building this for gaming then he only needs a 9600k. A 9700k paired with a 2070 is a complete waste of money. Even paired with an overclocked 1080Ti or 2080 it's still not the limiting factor. The cost difference between the 9600k and 9700k is substantial but the performance for gaming is basicaly the same. He would get far more out of getting a slightly cheaper motherboard and put the extra money from the mobo savings and 9700k savings toward a 2080 which would give him way more performance. A 2070 absolutely will not power 1440p at 144 Hz if you want to max out the settings. Even a 1080Ti would struggle with that in most titles. The only card that can reasonably do that is a 2080Ti if you want to keep the settings on max. So since he will be highly GPU bound, the best bet for his money is in getting a 2080 over a 2070.

SPL Tech, this is a Ryzen build.

Johnny, those high voltages you were seeing at default settings are perfectly normal for Ryzen. If you were to have HWInfo64 open and watch the voltages for a few minutes under light load you would see them spike that high for very brief times on the various cores as they take turns turboing and then settle down to a much lower votage. This is the way AMD designed it and it will not harm the CPU since those spikes are momentary. If you set the core voltage manually to override those algorithms you will be making all the cores run a higher average voltage since they will not be allowed to settle below that fixed voltage you set when they are not turboing. These CPUs have power management that is very precise and very sophisticated and very unlike what you have been used to.

Last edited:
Okay cool. I have HW Monitor installed. I'll get HW info installed. Went into BIOS and set the voltages back to auto. The case should be here soon but the monitor still hasn't shipped.

HWInfo64 gives a lot more information than does HWMonitor.

Look at my peak voltages for the 2700x I am running. Way over 1.5. And this is with all stock/default settings in bios. But then compare that to the average and minimum and you will see those spikes are very short-lived.

Attachments

• HWInfo64.png
    HWInfo64.png
    28.9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Thanks, trents! I'm going to leave everything at stock then. It's all cased up and ran a stress test through Realbench for 30 minutes with no issues. CPU maxed out at 67C during the test. I'll get a 2 hour in later on. My kids are visiting and they are a handful.

Forgot to mention that the order for my monitor was canceled by the seller. I ordered a 27 inch MSI Optix monitor. Looks pretty solid. I'm using a 24 inch 1080p 60hz Vizio tv right now....

Last edited:
They weren't out of stock when I ordered. The email just said they cancelled the order. The monitor did go up by over $100 since I had ordered it though.

Also, I made a signature and saved it but it isn't showing in my posts....

Last edited:
Did you go to Settings>Edit Signature? And then you have to click on Save before exiting that area.

Last edited:
The forum has undergone some remodeling lately. Perhaps there is a glitch in that tool. Check with one of the moderators. Either Atminside or Blaylock I think.

The forum has undergone some remodeling lately. Perhaps there is a glitch in that tool. Check with one of the moderators. Either Atminside or Blaylock I think.
Moderators are Green and Admins are Red. Blue, your color, is reserved for senior members (none of which have moderating authority).

I will look into this Johhny...please PM me your signature and I can add it manually... :)

EDIT: Johhny.. I see your sig!!! I didn't touch a thing! :)

Last edited:
Moderators are Green and Admins are Red. Blue, your color, is reserved for senior members (none of which have moderating authority).

I will look into this Johhny...please PM me your signature and I can add it manually... :)

EDIT: Johhny.. I see your sig!!! I didn't touch a thing! :)

Awesome! I see it too! :clap:

Well the new monitor came in. Been playing Black Mesa maxed out at 1440p with very good frame rates. Just waiting for the mouse to show up so I don't have to use this cheap wireless mouse anymore. I will say that the new build is really impressing me.

I am glad you are pleased. It's a bummer when you help someone spend their money and it doesn't work out for them.

I am glad you are pleased. It's a bummer when you help someone spend their money and it doesn't work out for them.

Thanks, trents! I'm really happy with the setup. Definitely a great investment and it's really fun playing on PC again!

Things have come a long way since your last build, haven't they!

Absolutely! Games look great and play smooth as butter. Still weird seeing the CPU temps at 60. Keep feeling like I'm going to see smoke coming out of the case :mad:

Those temps are spikes that correspond to the high votage spikes we talked about earlier. You should only see those in a sustained way under load. Mine does the same thing with a 240mm AIO with push pull fans, just surfing the net.

While gaming the cpu hits maybe 40°C. It idles around 28-32. The cooler works well and I was thinking about doing a push/pull config but decided the temps are fine as is

Back