• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build In 10ish years, need opinions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spre

Everything located on newegg, about 1400.00 if I can find thes eparts cheaper then cool. But I would like honest opinions on it.

Thanks

Right now I have 3 different rigs.

a prebuilt Asus G11CD(got a great deal on it i couldn't refuse(200.00 on Facebook)
a Chinese mini PC(my daughters quad core proc 4GB ram, plays her favorite game minecraft haha)
and my Baby i built in 07/08 ish, yea 10 years is ancient in the computer industry, but she still does very well, but I am going to be giving it to my daughter, ( nforce 780i board q6600 quad core 2.4ghz(my favorite CPU period) ocd to 3.6ghz, Spin Q HSF, 8GB corsair vengeance ram, geforce 8800GT video card inside a sunbeam transformer full case amd a 500 watt rosewill psu(just replaced it after 10 years))

like i said, my baby is going to my daughter, the G11 is going to my woman, and it is time I built a new one

The build will be used to play Games such as FFXIV, Everquest, MInecraft as well as run programs like OBS constantly in the background(obs is a video streaming software)

I am trying to stay under 1500.00(which means not 1080ti for me, unless i skimp in other areas) But I'd like the bulk of the parts to be good for a while with great upgrade potential, it is actually giving me a headache, because there are so many routes to go.

I definitely want the option to overclock eventually, I have never been to keen on liquid cooling(actually my last attempt didn't go to well haha)

Current parts I am looking at.

Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming M7 Mobo(up-gradable to 64GB Ram, Decent reviews)
CPU: i7-7700k kaby lake
RAM: Gskill TridentZ RGB 16GB(decent reviews)
PSU: CORSAIR TX-M Series TX750M PSU(one of the hardest to choose, so many bad brands out there, I don;t want to skimp on this)
Heat-sink & Fan: DEEPCOOL gamer storm assassin 2 HSF(some tech review have this on the top of their lists for best HSF)
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1050 CERBERUS GPU(wanted the 4GB for 229 but its sold out, and I am not paying 500 for a 1070, although i can get a founders 1080 from newegg for 500 but not sure)
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda ST2000DM006 2TB HDD
CASE: DIYPC Skyline-06-WB Black SECC ATX Full Tower ( I prefer full towers )

I haven't figured out what SSD i want to run the system

But as it sits that build is 1400.00(I spent 1700 on the one i built in 07/08)

But I'd like some real good honest opinions I am really looking to buy Friday.

Full build is below(list from newegg)

Build link: https://secure.newegg.com/Wishlist/SharedWishlistDetail?ID=TtbmITnPTY0=

I think the core of your build looks great. I would consider EVGA or Seasonic for your PSU. Use Jonnyguru.com for PSU reviews. They are the top dogs for PSU reviews.

Unfortunately for a GPU these days you need to pay through the teeth if you can even find one in stock. The mining craze has done it's duty of stripping us normal people from our supplies. If you can't wait then good luck to you. It's just a horrible time to buy them. Nothing we can do about it.

I'm personally not a big fan of Seagate HDD's. I prefer Western Digital or Toshiba. YMMV

For your case, DIYPC is OK if you're looking for a place to save some money, but understand you are not buying a high quality product. There are much better choices out there. Some other options that are "less expensive" are Rosewill, Thermaltake, & Cooler Master.

EDIT: The Corsair TX750 scored a 9.6 at Jonnyguru so no concerns there. It's a solid performer. Just wanted to give you other options.

Why are you going with a 7th generation CPU when for a small amount more you could move up to an 8700k and get way better performance? Consider going with the 8700k IGP until video card prices go down and get a better one than what you are now looking at. The 8700k IGP will outperform the 8800 GT you now have anyway.

Hi,

thanks for the replies.

I have never heard of microcenter so no very close i would imagine.

My res of choice is 1600x1200 Has been for many years, but my asus 23inch led took dump on me so atm im stuck on a crappy vga at 1280/1024 until i buy a new one with the build.

as for case, I went with airflow and full, I wouldn't mind buying another sunbeam transformer as the one i have has served me well, but i paid 59.99 for it in 08 can;t find it that cheap now.

I was planing the seagate to just be a backup media drive, and use the 1 TB western green i have in this asus as a backup as the main drive(behind an SSD that I still havent figured out yet.

Why are you going with a 7th generation CPU when for a small amount more you could move up to an 8700k and get way better performance? Consider going with the 8700k IGP until video card prices go down and get a better one than what you are now looking at. The 8700k IGP will outperform the 8800 GT you now have anyway.

Because the boards I am looking at are not 8th gen compatible

Last edited:
Because the boards I am looking at are not 8th gen compatible

OK, so why are you looking at old motherboards? This MSI Z370 Gaming M5 looks very similar to the old Z270 you like, so get that with a nice i7-8700K with 6C/12T instead of that old 4C/8T i7-7700K. Or save some cash and get the 6C/6T i5-8600K.

Do you realize that the 8700k has 6 real cores and 6 threads (HT) on top of that? The 7700k has four cores and four threads. So look at Z370 motherboards instead of Z270. You can also run an 8700k on a Z270 motherboard with updated bios but what's the point? The Z370 boards are about the same price and if you are starting from scratch, well . . .

Do you realize that the 8700k has 6 real cores and 6 threads (HT) on top of that? The 7700k has four cores and four threads. So look at Z370 motherboards instead of Z270. You can also run an 8700k on a Z270 motherboard with updated bios but what's the point? The Z370 boards are about the same price and if you are starting from scratch, well . . .

ty for your input. I wanted to stay with the M7 due to the reviews, if i go with the 8700k I'll need a 300 series mobo.

which the only two decent ones I see are.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145035 Gigabyte Aorus
and
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813119032 asus maximus X hero(which has really good reviews)

the asus I can get a combo from new egg for 799. (Mobo, 8700k and 16GB of tridentZ) whereas the gigabyte is only a 2 combo with the 8700k and the mobo for 500.

Dave: Because i Didnt want to spend an arm and a leg. however with the msi z370 and the 8700k the price tag went from 1400.53 to only 1463 so only 65ish dollar more.

but do i want the msi carbo gaming or the asus maximux x hero?(total is only 10.00 more)

then I am thinking do i really want a blueray drive? I have 2 ps4s. I can know th eprice back down if I axe that. Becuase i still need to find adive on a SSD drive and buy one.

I have updated the build list

Last edited:
The TridentZ is great RAM if you intend to OC it. If you're sure you'll never bother with overclocking your memory, just get the cheapest sticks you can at the speed you want. At identical speeds and timings it's all the same, and the timings are almost entirely bragging rights and not anything you'll see in game or checking email. And yes, I spent an entire week tweaking my memory. The goals were knowledge and self congratulation, though, not any real world need or shortcoming of the DDR4 3000 C14. What you're paying for with the high end G.Skill is the Samsung B dies, which give you headroom for OC.

Hmmm...Looking here https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...NE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007611 600006072 601203950 it seems the TridentZ is priced competitively with the rest of the class. Although you can get the SniperX 3600 C19 for $40 less than the 3600 C16. Other than some narrowly focused usage you'll never tell the difference outside benchmarks.

Do you realize that the 8700k has 6 real cores and 6 threads (HT) on top of that? The 7700k has four cores and four threads.

The 8700k is 6c/12t. The 7700k is 4c/8t.

Last edited:
The TridentZ is great RAM if you intend to OC it. If you're sure you'll never bother with overclocking your memory, just get the cheapest sticks you can at the speed you want. At identical speeds and timings it's all the same, and the timings are almost entirely bragging rights and not anything you'll see in game or checking email. And yes, I spent an entire week tweaking my memory. The goals were knowledge and self congratulation, though, not any real world need or shortcoming of the DDR4 3000 C14. What you're paying for with the high end G.Skill is the Samsung B dies, which give you headroom for OC.

Hmmm...Looking here https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...NE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007611 600006072 601203950 it seems the TridentZ is priced competitively with the rest of the class. Although you can get the SniperX 3600 C19 for $40 less than the 3600 C16. Other than some narrowly focused usage you'll never tell the difference outside benchmarks.

The 8700k is 6c/12t. The 7700k is 4c/8t.

yea it was either that, ripjaw or vengeance. From reviews it looked like the tridentZ was the good choice for each of these motherboards. Everything will eventually be overclocked, So i am keeping that in mind.

MSI Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON AC or asus Maximus X hero. they are both pretty much the same, the asus is 10 bucks more and has ROG audio. But I like MSI dedicated gaming ports

Thanks for the correction Alaric. I was thinking 6 additional threads to the ones accounted for by the 6 real cores. I just didn't say it well.

Thanks for the correction Alaric. I was thinking 6 additional threads to the ones accounted for by the 6 real cores. I just didn't say it well.

Between Ryzen, i7s, 13s with HT, Threadripper, i9, i7x, et al, I'm surprised anyone can keep up with the core/thread count anymore. Throw some Xeons in the mix and picking a chip is almost a close-your-eyes-and-throw-the-dart proposition. Especially since they're all good now. :screwy:

That's the truth. I got a new laptop recently with a 8200U chip and I put an SSD in it. Runs like a desktop. And this is not a gaming laptop, just a run of the mill 8th generation Intel powered unit. Laptops have finally arrived.

I remember the days when Windows 3.1 debuted running on 80386 CPU powered desktops. They were such dogs! We've come a long way.

Yup. My rig is so overpowered for my needs. Other than my GPU I spent a lot of money on "want" instead of need, and half my GPU cost was "want", as well. I console myself with the fact that, barring any huge breakthroughs, I'm good for a decade on this rig.

So one thing you have to understand right with where the gaming performance market current sits, CPU's don't mean to much except at really low res. At 1080p a 1300X vs a 8700K using the same GPU is likely a 10% or less fps difference. At 4K is prolly 5% or less. This means any modern CPU right now will push you to GPU limitation. To build a truly special gaming rig these days you really need to start with the monitor. Since you need a new one, your playing most MMO, RPG's, and slower paced games you don't need super high refresh rate here are some options you can consider.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIADYY64M4888
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824011190
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2RY6P24014
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824112035
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025512

To me, 1080p is pushing it at 27" so you could consider a 24" but I also like size. Going to a higher res as you can see will cost you but will look much better. 4K is glorious but you would definitely want a 1080 at least.

I would lean towards a 8600K build. Nothing you do shouts needing an i7.

Pretty good pre-built here for the price. Non-K so no OC'ing. No clue why its got 32GB of ram. Older gen hardware but it puts you into a solid gaming machine at a good price.

https://www.costco.com/Acer-Predato...ore-i7---8GB-Graphics-.product.100342463.html

wow have I been out of it that long? since when have prebuilts been cheaper then building?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883101359

1070, 32GB ram (which is probably value ram but still can upgrade it for less then building)

unless anyone says anything different I will prbably just go ahead and grab this and the componates as well

its a refurb so keep in mind the warranty is only 30 days :( the pricing will likely fall back in line with a new unit.
its a good deal other than that. with memory prices and gpu prices being idiotic right now you may be better off getting this despite it being a refurb. just make sure you grind it hard before the warranty is up.

Back