• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build in planning - water cooled + overclocked dual loop + case mods!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Monkey8EA5T

Hi all,

I've been building PCs for a couple of decades now, but have never done a custom water cooled set up. I'm planning on building a dual loop, hard-lined setup, into a modified Thermaltake Core X71 case! Well that's the plan! I''ve set up a GoFundMe page to hopefully get some funds towards it, but any advice or tips are welcome! I want to try to get the most "bang-for-my-buck" that I can, but all for as little as I can. My main limiting factor is the amount of money available; hence the GoFundMe page!

I'm posting in this folder, as what I've got planned covers multiple areas. Apologies if it's in the wrong area!

After a bit of research, I've decided to go for PETG hardline tubing, as I understand it's easier to work with than acrylic. I've looked about and spoken with a few people so going for EK water blocks kit where I can. The X71 has loads of room for Rads, so I might have to play around with alternative radiators, as the EK ones might be a little small in there!

I'm plannning on modifying the Thermaltake X71 case as there are a few things I don't like. Firstly, the colour; it's only available in Black, and I sort of want to go for a white/blue/black colour scheme, so I'm thinking of stripping it down and painting it. Whilst I'm doing that, it has a number of grommets on the back for "backpack" radiators, which I don't like. I'm actually toying with the idea of plating the holes, and welding (yes, welding!) them up!

I'm also looking at running dual video cards in SLI; specifically dual EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Founders Editions.

Below is a rough idea of the basic hardware in the PC. I'm reusing some bits from my old system (hard-drives mainly). This list is of course subject to change!

- Intel Pentium Core i7 6850k Processor
- Asus X99 Deluxe II Motherboard
- 16GB Corsair DDR4 RAM
- Crucial 525GB M.2 SSD
- 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition Graphics Cards
- Thermaltake Core X71 Full Tower Case
- Corsair HX750i PSU

Thanks all, and please be kind!

MB

What will the system be used for? If is a gaming rig as opposed to a rendering workstation then you could save some money and go with a 7700k CPU and socket 1151 motherboard.

Are you going with a 4k monitor or monitors? You don't mention displays. Wondering why two 1080Ti video cards?

Yeah, it'll be mostly used for gaming. I also want to build something that will have a decent life in it. I also use some CAD software, but I know gaming graphics cards aren't ideal for CAD, but will suffice. Although I don't have 4k now, I will in the future. Again, it's about trying to get longevity in the life of the parts I choose. My current rig is a 3 year old i5, and was obsolete practically as soon as I bought it (unplanned purchase when my previous motherboard failed, and I needed something to replace it quickly!). My current processor and motherboard have proven to be a bottle neck with Occulus rift; one of the reasons for the upgrade. Plus the overkill potential on the hardware side is always appealing. ;) Ideally, i want to spend as much as I can now (within reason), so that the parts last at least 5 years before I have to think about major upgrades again.

You mentioned about socket 1151. This is something I was considering. My theorising was that LGA 2011-v3, although a little older in the tooth, might be a bit more stable. Of course, now I think about it, it could mean that it is not necessarily going to be around for much longer, so upgrade-ability in the future might be limited... Hmmm... definitely something to think about.

Help me understand the GoFundMe thing. What is the need here? Seems like some pretty lofty expectations for a charity build. It's a rig that seems way beyond what someone would need to go to school or get a job.

GoFundMe was chosen as it's a good way for friends and family to put money forward for something tangible. It's being done not for work or school, but because I want to. No other reason.
Yes it's a lot of money. Yes there are other ways of doing it, but I chose that way.

So much for my "be kind" comment...

I was attempting to probe that issue in a kind way. That's why I employed the phraseology, "Help me understand." It was not an accusation or even necessarily an insinuation. I was only hoping to open your eyes to the possibility that your expectations might not be in line with reality and that maybe you should set your goals a little lower. Perhaps you have family and friends who struggle to come up with ideas for gifts and that is a creative way of helping them, especially those who might be tech aware and cannot relate to your project.

Last edited:
Back