• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build Issues (coz it's my first one...)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Instinct1

Registered
Hey All,

Need your guys' advice - new build (first build as well), get to the point of turning it on and...nothing.

Spec details:

CPU: i6700
Cooler: Deepcool Gammaxx 300
Mobo: ASUS Z170-P
RAM: Kingston HyperX 2 x 8Gb
GPU: MSI GTX1060 OC 6Gb
Storage:
Kingston 240Gb SSD
Seagate Barracuda 2Tb 7200rpm
PSU: Casecom 750W
Case: Coolermaster Storm Stryker

So 1st time hook it all up, both mobo sockets power hooked up, GPU power hooked up, front I/O panel connected, back of PSU turned on, green LED on mobo is on...press power button on front I/O panel, the power light flashes for a second then goes off, but nothing else - completely dead.

Initial thought was that PSU was DOA, but mobo LED and flash on power switch suggests otherwise???

Did some reading and worked out I had a few unnecessary standoffs in the case, so took them all out to eliminate possibility of short, reconnected everything and same story - power light flashes for a second, disappears, and nothing else.

So removed all unnecessary stuff - disconnected power to GPU, removed one RAM stick and moved the other one to closest slot to CPU, disconnected all front panel except power switch and again, the same story...

At a loss here guys - need some wisdom...would appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers

Assuming you wired everything correct your problem probably lies with in you power supply selection

I would first send it back and replace it with a decent unit

This could work

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438053&ignorebbr=1

Once you have it installed see what happens , I am willing to bet you are good to go.

However it is always possible you have a defective component

Edit:

"Do your self a favor, avoid it like it has the Black plague of Death.
Basically there crap, 50% load they are fine, once you get to 75% load they just shut down. The specs are a complete Lie"

Last edited:
Ok so the PSU is a piece of **** - that sucks man,

Thanks for the tip Witchdoctor, will hit them up tomorrow and let you know. Cheers mate.

Just double checking that you reckon 550W will be ok for this rig?

Last edited:
You never know, but a good rule of thumb when choosing components is to buy a high quality power supply

A 550W PSU should be more than enough for that build.

Also a side note, I always assemble a new build outside of the case on the motherboard box with just the bare essentials to test that everything works before assembly in the case. Motherboard, CPU, CPU Cooler, Ram, OS Drive, and PSU. If it powers on without issue I'll add the GPU and test it again. Once everything boots and is good to go I start my case assembly.

A 550W PSU should be more than enough for that build.

Also a side note, I always assemble a new build outside of the case on the motherboard box with just the bare essentials to test that everything works before assembly in the case. Motherboard, CPU, CPU Cooler, Ram, OS Drive, and PSU. If it powers on without issue I'll add the GPU and test it again. Once everything boots and is good to go I start my case assembly.

Cheers Blaylock, is that what they refer to as "breadboarding"?

I would also remove the CPU and check for bent socket pins if these other suggestions don't help. Intel socket pins are very, very fragile and if there is any fumbling around when seating the CPU then they can get bent. Sometimes you get bent ones from the factory.

My other thought would be that the misplaced standoffs could have damaged the traces on the underside of the motherboard. When you take it out to breadboard it I would inspect it very carefully. Having misplaced standoffs is a common noob blunder. Been there, done that.

And dont fret when half your pins look bent. That makes a lot of people panick, but thats how it looks normally. You'll be looking for one or a small few that are different than the rest.

And dont fret when half your pins look bent. That makes a lot of people panick, but thats how it looks normally. You'll be looking for one or a small few that are different than the rest.

Good thought, Jeff.

Late reply guys but wanted to let you know how I got on. Witchdoctor - you were spot on mate. Took that piece of crap Casecom PSU out and replaced it with a Thermaltake Grand 750W and this thing works like a dream. Runs Skyrim on ultra settings easily. Absolutely stoked with it. Cheers for all the replies guys, appreciate your help.

Thermaltake would not have been a brand most of us would have recommended but it may do you well for a long time. I hope so.

fwiw, you can run an i7 6700k with a gtx 1080ti on a 550w psu, and still have some overclocking headroom. you only need a750 when running multiple gpus or cpus.

Back