• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build: It's been a long time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DoubtsRTraitors

Hey Community,

It's been about 15 years since I built a rig. I used this website all the time back then, but have been out of the game for some time.

I am in need of a complete rig and OS (windows). I plan to do a lot of research through large databases, video editing, CAD/CAM, and also use it for gaming. So I'll need some juice.

I also have a large need for conference calls w/ video so I need to find a good microphone and webcam.

To be honest my schedule is really hectic and have tried researching new gear, but keep getting hung up.

I am looking at AMD but am not beholden to it. Ideally I would be able to upgrade it as new tech comes out so maybe the newest socket is a good idea.

I also want to watercool it.

Anyway, if anyone wants to come up with a dream rig between $1500 and say $3K please feel free. I would really appreciate it

I wish I had time to learn everything again. All I know is the prebuilt rigs don't bring the power I want or are insanely overpriced.

I'd be happy to provide benchmark results and I results when done.

It's good to be back!

$800 - 3080 Video Card
$550 - AMD 5900x Processor
$200 - AMD B550 or X570 Motherboard
$150 - 16GB x 2 3600 RAM kit
$150 - 1TB M.2 NVME drive (premium model for OS)
$200 - 2TB M.2 NVME drive (fast speed storage)
$200 - Case
$175 - 750W or up power supply
$120 - for 120mm x2 AIO water cooling
$100 - case fans

$2,600 +/- depending on exact component plus tax & shipping.

Why no direct links to products? Currently finding a current gen CPU and GPU is not easy. You buy what's in stock. Also you may have brand loyalty when it comes to things like manufacturers for GPU, MB, RAM, SSDs, Case, PSU etc.

Oh and is there any sense in getting a threadripper for multitasking? I tend to have a lot of things going on at once

BTW I forgot, welcome back.

Newegg, Beat Buy and Amazon are my go to. Been reliable so far. I am sure some other companies are just as good.

Threadrippers aren't cheap. Will you need more than the 12 cores the 5900x has?

BTW I forgot, welcome back.

Newegg, Beat Buy and Amazon are my go to. Been reliable so far. I am sure some other companies are just as good.

Threadrippers aren't cheap. Will you need more than the 12 cores, 24 threads the 5900x has?

Just thought it needed clarification. I agree most of us can’t even put a threadripper under a full load & they are really expensive. The 5900x should handle some pretty serious computing loads.

Just thought it needed clarification. I agree most of us can’t even put a threadripper under a full load & they are really expensive. The 5900x should handle some pretty serious computing loads.

Just to expand on this - any detail on exactly what programs you're using? The only reason you'd see a benefit with a TR is if they use the extra threads/cores.

You might even see some improvement from the 3080 in video editing, and maybe CAD tasks as some of those tools are switching over to support GPU acceleration.

Adobe for most image and video editing and rendering. Master am, Featurecam, solidworks for most of my fabrication work.

I'm also doing work on a 2 million line CSV file I recently came into possession of and i had to split it into two due to excel size limits. It takes about 20 minutes to open each file on my old laptop. I'd like to see that speed up and searching through it to become quicker as well. Likely to have many more files like that in the future

My biggest concern is future proofing. I'd like to be able to just throw in a new processor down the road and stuff if the load gets too great.

But to be honest Ive been shopping for days and nobody has any of the processors you recommended in stock and very few have the 3080 or 3090 available. So it looks like I'm stuck for a month or so anyway

My biggest concern is future proofing. I'd like to be able to just throw in a new processor down the road and stuff if the load gets too great.

AFAIK, the Threadrippers seem to change socket with every new range. I think the Ryzen 5xxx series are the last ones to use their current socket,too.

If I remember correctly, the next round of Zen chips will be DDR5 as well.

I guess I just picked a bad time to finally buy a rig.

I've looked everywhere. Seems the internet is full of people who recognized the shortage of processors and bought them up to resell for a bunch more.

I even tried looking through some of the custom build sites. Would be backordered until the end of January anyway.

Not fun. Was looking forward to a build

That's why I didn't list any specific item in my initial response. Now isn't the best time to build a rig from the ground up.

You can start buying a few parts here and there.

Back