• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build, Looking for reliable Water Cooling for AMD 1950x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trey_w

Hello everyone, it's been probably 7+ years since I posted but I was at one time heavily involved here and did a lot around the early water cooling when it was first hitting the market.

I have a new build that I'm working on and frankly don't have the time like I use to do anything really custom. I'm looking for an out of the box AIO solution unless it really doesn't make sense.

Build so far

AMD Threadripper 1950x
128G G Skill DDR4 2933
ASUS ROG Strix x399

I thought I would go with the Enermax but I've seen a lot of negative reviews. Then I started thinking about other needs around cooling especially with 8 DIMMS of RAM, Video Card, PSU.

Any AIO recommendations for this CPU? Should I be worried about the heat for the RAM and consider additional cooling for that as well? Video card wise, it will be as cheap as I can go, this rig is going to be a ESX server for my customer demo's so I wont be running any high end video cards.

Thanks in advance

The RAM doesn't need cooling. If the GPU is just needed to put a picture on the screen, it won't be dumping off a lot of heat in the first place. Just worry about the CPU.

Do you plan on overclocking the CPU? I think regardless I would be looking at a 3x120mm CLC cooler.

The RAM doesn't need cooling. If the GPU is just needed to put a picture on the screen, it won't be dumping off a lot of heat in the first place. Just worry about the CPU.

Do you plan on overclocking the CPU? I think regardless I would be looking at a 3x120mm CLC cooler.

Any overclocking on CPU will be moderate at best

I haven't seen anything better than Enermax and I had no problems with my 280 AIO but if you don't really have time on that then just get Noctua cooler which is about as loud and isn't much worse regarding temps.
Here are results made on my rig with 1920X and all mentioned coolers:

ENMX_AIO_test1.jpg

ENMX_AIO_test2.jpg

I made tests in the summer without AC so idle temps are high.

On all coolers max OC was about the same +/- 25MHz. Difference was mostly in generated noise but even the smallest Noctua is good enough and not really loud.
Mixed load in the table is PCMark 10 and some other things which are more like typical usage, less demanding games etc.

I haven't seen anything better than Enermax and I had no problems with my 280 AIO but if you don't really have time on that then just get Noctua cooler which is about as loud and isn't much worse regarding temps.
Here are results made on my rig with 1920X and all mentioned coolers:

View attachment 203057

View attachment 203058

I made tests in the summer without AC so idle temps are high.

On all coolers max OC was about the same +/- 25MHz. Difference was mostly in generated noise but even the smallest Noctua is good enough and not really loud.
Mixed load in the table is PCMark 10 and some other things which are more like typical usage, less demanding games etc.

Interesting and thanks for the feedback and info. I want to go with a AIO but don't want to mess with a custom setup like I use to do back in the day. Glad to hear the Enermax is working for you!

Looks like coolermaster has a full contact cooler as well. Their implementation however seems to add a copper skirt to the regular size block design, so coolant won't be contacting the entire area of "full contact" with the IHS.

Ended up going with the Enermax Liqtech 280 II.

All parts for this build in hand except for PSU which should be delivered Monday.

Thanks for everyone’s help!

Back