• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build, MB show Hex codes?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maculosa

Registered
Hi, i just finished my new build and i just booted it.

It's a MSI X570 Unify motherboard with AMD 3800X CPU.
Ram is Corsair Vengeance LPX 4500 mhz CL19. (2x 8 gig)

MB has a 2 digit display that can show code.

Is it normal when booting that it show lot of different codes alternatively? does that means there is a lot of error when booting?
Also when i'm in Bios, it show a A6 or Ab code? Anyone know what's the problem?

In bios my ram show at 2133 mhz by default, is it normal?

Last things, is it normal that the mouse is lagging in bios?

Thanks for any help!

You're seeing Post Codes which are not necessarily errors. According to the MSI Global English Forum these are the meanings of your Post Codes.

A6 = SCSI Detect
AB = Setup Input Wait

At default BIOS settings, the RAM defaults to 2133. You need to select XMP in the BIOS to set the memory to the correct speed and timings.

Update the BIOS to the latest and that might fix the balky mouse in the BIOS. It will speed up the boot time and fix some other issues.

Cycling through the onboard LED post codes is a normal "checkup" process. If it hangs on a code then there is a problem.

Good luck in getting that RAM too run at the full 4500 mhz speed. And even if you do, realize that RAM speeds above 3733 mhz may actually degrade performance due to the decoupling from the infinity fabric such that your ratio will no longer be 1:1. The infinity fabric maxes out at 3733 mhz. Did you research any of this stuff first before buying high speed RAM?

Last edited:
Hi, i just finished my new build and i just booted it.

It's a MSI X570 Unify motherboard with AMD 3800X CPU.
Ram is Corsair Vengeance LPX 4500 mhz CL19. (2x 8 gig)

MB has a 2 digit display that can show code.

Is it normal when booting that it show lot of different codes alternatively? does that means there is a lot of error when booting?
Also when i'm in Bios, it show a A6 or Ab code? Anyone know what's the problem?

In bios my ram show at 2133 mhz by default, is it normal?

Last things, is it normal that the mouse is lagging in bios?

Thanks for any help!
Normal behavior as DaveB has stated. ;)

You have little chance of running the memory that fast on this platform. I would have bought a simple DDR4 3600 set with low CL timings... you are likely going to need to manually tweak those sticks to sit at the sweet spot (3600/3733) regardless. Whereas buying purpose-built sticks, it is more likely to be a set it and go situation.

The infinity fabric maxes out at 3600 mhz.
It isn't a hard wall there, per say. AMD themselves say 3600/3733. But as always, YMMV as this depends on the sticks, IMC, board/BIOS.

Disable fast boot in the BIOS. It should be under the BOOT menu.
If you look at the monitor during boot, what is displayed?? It should list (1) The BIOS Maker (2) The CPU that is installed (3) The amount & speed of the Memory installed (4) The HDD's/SSD's/USB drives (Ect..Ect)
You are looking for the memory part of this. If you have the memory set to AUTO -> it will default to what the MB & Memory say they LIKE = DDR4-2133. If you set it to XMP -> you are requesting the MB to run the memory at the higher programed speed on the memory = DDR4-4500 (https://www.pcgamer.com/what-are-xmp-profiles-and-how-do-i-use-them/) If you go into the BIOS and change the memory settings manually -> you are telling the MB to run the memory at XX speed and XX settings regardless if it will work or not = DDR4-5500. I'm not sure if your CPU & MB will run the memory at it's XMP rated speed of DDR4-4500.
This is why EarthDog said that slower memory might have been preferred. You may be able to run the memory at a slower speed (DDR4-3733) but with faster timings (CL 16-16-16-28 1T).

Back