• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build, need advice from you guys!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jaredguess

Registered
Disclaimer** First off I am not overclocking, just came here from previous experience to pick you guys brains because you are the most knowledgeable group of people I know regarding this stuff. If it offends you that I am running stock,.. just ignore the post. **Disclaimer

Hey guys,

I'm in the IT industry, have been working with computers for 20yrs (since I was 10),.. built more than I care to remember, etc.

I've done the overclocking deal, and did it mostly for the joy of it.. not the necessity of the extra speed.

Now, I am in the market to build a new 'main' system for my home.
Something that isn't extremely pricey, but focuses on being powerful, speedy, reliable, and good quality where it counts (for me).

With that preface.. I have general ideas, but would like your input on specifics.

I'm just going to go down what I have in my head of what I need for the build, and if you spot something left out.. by all means.. tell me. :)

** A significant factor in this would be that money is an object here, and I am on a budget. For total system I want to keep it under $900.00. I know that is tight for a respectable build, but it can be done. **

1) Motherboard -- no specifics about brand, just reliability. Since I am not going to overclock the board can probably be on the less expensive side. Just looking for something that will handle the processor -- which leads to the next....

2) Processor -- Intel or AMD? I am thinking AMD because of the power to price factor. Am I correct that one gets more power for the money invested with an AMD proc?

Let's keep in mind I am interested in power/speed on this side of things, but I don't need the absolute latest release of Intels processor that is overpriced because it is the absolute best. A step down from that , that is say, (6months+ old) is just fine. ;)

Anyhow,.. I don't know comparisons. I do know AMD's top quad processors are significantly cheaper than ,say, Intel's I7 or even I5. What would you recommend? From what I priced it seemed I could just about go with the top AMD processor (a quad 3.0ghz or so? is that right?) for 200-300$. But I will gladly settle for a 2.6-2.9 quad if the price makes a big difference and there wouldn't be a huge difference in speed.

3) Hard Drive -- This is still a significant bottle neck in system speeds, and (in my opinion), until solid state memory reaches sufficient size for reasonable pricing it will remain so. Nonetheless, that isn't soon.. so.. I am adamant about a Hardrive that is very quick. As everything is utilizing it at some point, and the faster the less wait time for everyone. Is a basic 7200rpm, Sata 3 what I'm looking for here? -- In terms of size I don't want less than 500GB's,.. and don't require more than 1TB. ((Side note, will all the modern MB's have the Sata 3 I/O built in, or is that another thing I have to be careful about?) -- As with everything, I don't need the absolute very tip top best out there.. 2nd best is fine. Ideas?

4) CD/DVD/Read/Write drive -- Pretty basic, I just want one that burns cd's/dvd's, and reads them. Speed isn't a huge concern. I have one caveat here,.. it has been a long time since I've had this option, and it may not be available -- but if you know of one let me know.. Slot/Front load. I would love to have the basic all-in-one drive that is a slot load. I loved my slot load pioneer on my 800Mhz intel build many years ago. :)

5) Case -- Again, atypical from most -- I only mildly care. I just want it to look reasonably attractive. IE: A 2009 Dell or HP design is enough for me here. (There was a time when I had led's, open view side plexi, etc etc -- but it doesn't matter to me anymore). So just not butt ugly, and function is a plus. (IE: position of USB ports, and so forth) Ideas?

6) Video Card -- I am running ATI on this system from 2007,.. it does pretty well. However, before this card I was an adamant Nvidia preferred customer. I would like to go back to Nvidia despite the 10-20% price increase vs. power ATI has the advantage on. I suppose something in the realm of 100-200$ , ideas? *Yes I game alot*.

7) PSU - Just need something reliable and that will support the video. Cheap as I can get here while retaining reliability.

8) Another reason that has spurred this new build is the release of Windows 7. Yes, ridicule me if you wish ;) -- but I plan on running it, as I like it. I have 3 Vista machines and 7 feels much less bloated and functional. Finally going to a true 64Bit OS will be nice as well (I know Vista can go 64bit, but I never bothered). So if there is anything you can think of hardware wise that helps or hurts the Windows 7 choice.. speak up please.

9) Monitor -- I currently run an HP w2207 -- It is a widescreen LCD, at 22inches. I believe it runs at 5ms , and 1000:1 contrast. Not too bad, but I would like to get a slightly better 'picture quality' monitor for this system build.. Lower latency, and better contrast ratio (or just a brand or known monitor that has a reputation for being outstanding). Though not breaking the bank here.. something for a few hundred max. Doesn't have to be bigger.. but don't want to go under 21inches.

10) Mouse - KB -- Covered.

11) Speaker system - I know this will sound quaint, but I have a 2.1 system that I purchased 4-5 years ago. An Altec Lansing system with 2 fronts and a sub. This system sounds absolutely phenomenal and the sub puts out just enough bass. I don't need more sub. Have there been some sort of speaker upgrades in technology that I should look at speaker systems as well,.. or do what I want to do and just transfer what I have. (I don't care about the surround sound because of the location of the computer and the use).

12) Network integration -- Will all the MB's have a built in NIC (port) ? I assume yes. Are there any with built in wireless? Would be a nice feature. Further,.. is it common at all to find Gigabit built in Ethernet ports?

13) RAM -- Almost forgot! Remember running Windows 7.. I believe the latest that is becoming standard is DDR3, correct? So give me options for the intel chipset and AMD chipset. Also, how much is appropriate? Not looking for overkill here,.. just what will run well. 4GB? 6GB? -- In this Vista system I have 3GB and it seems to be happy with it. I realize the 64bit tech in the new OS will allow for more usable RAM,.. so I am just vaguely thinking 6GB sounds about right?

That is it,.. not much to it. Price under $900.00 US,.. want power, speed, reliability,.. and quality when it comes to anything from ease of reading long hours of text off the web (important for eyes).. to fast latency and FPS for gaming. **From what I've researched it seems most of the latest tech will handle the software.. so I don't really need to focus on dual video cards or the latest $500+ card release, etc.

To be honest I could really get away with upgrading my ATI 4550 HD video card and PSU in this system and run for quite a while without 'needing a new build'. But I have the urge,.. so I am going to do it. -- I guess expandability is mildly important.

--As are MB's that aren't limited.. IE: minimal PCI slots,.. or only one PCIx16 instead of 2.. and so on.

Lastly,.. I don't mind building AT ALL,.. but if there are some pre-built , say barebones or some such that would be a better starting point for me,.. do let me know.

I do appreciate the help, and you guys reading this all the way through. I will be monitoring this thread quite a bit to get my ducks in a row.

Take Care,

Last edited:
Not that helpful lol ^ since dells are overpriced. Can I ask what you will be doing with the system? Sry if I missed anything. Are you going to be gaming or video editing?

Motherboard: Depends which cpu but I recommend sticking with Gigabyte, Asus or MSI brand.

CPU: Depends what you wanna do with this computer and your budget.

Harddrives: go with Western Digital Black, cheap and fast.

PSU: Stick with Antec or Corsair brand, fairly cheap and very reliable, a 450-550 watt power supply will be suffice for that system with enough breathing room.

Case: Lotta options to choose from its just your personal preference.

As for the network card, most motherboard do not have integrated wireless, I use a PCI wireless card myself. As for the ram as long as you get an AM3 socket for AMD or i5 or i7, you will have to get DDR3.

No point in getting DDR2 these days anymore since the price points are about the same and there are no more upgrade paths with it.

I also just noticed you game a lot and need a video card. I recommend looking into the geforec 260 core 216 for about 180 bucks. Very good bang for the buck card from nvidia. On ATi's side the 4890 is a very very good card.

I don't know much about AMD, so here's some Intel suggestions.

i5 comes out to $878 (excluding $20 & $25 MIRs) with shipping but w/o monitor...

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P - Supports SLI & Xfire, if you know you won't be using dual GPU a cheaper board would be a better idea. Also has SATA III and USB 3.0
Intel i5 750
WD Caviar Black 640
Corsair Dominator 2x2GB DDR3-1600
Antec 300
Sony DVD/CD Burner
Palit GeForce GTX 260
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W PSU

If you wanted to go LGA775, then I might be able to get a monitor in there. The only bad thing about LGA775 is that they're done making processors for it. It can hold it's own though.

What size monitor are you wanting?

The Dell 2209WA is arguably the best 22" monitor out there.

Last edited:
I don't know much about AMD, so here's some Intel suggestions.

i5 comes out to $878 (excluding $20 & $25 MIRs) with shipping but w/o monitor...

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P - Supports SLI & Xfire, if you know you won't be using dual GPU a cheaper board would be a better idea. Also has SATA III and USB 3.0
Intel i5 750
WD Caviar Black 640
Corsair Dominator 2x2GB DDR3-1600
Antec 300
Sony DVD/CD Burner
Palit GeForce GTX 260
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W PSU

If you wanted to go LGA775, then I might be able to get a monitor in there. The only bad thing about LGA775 is that they're done making processors for it. It can hold it's own though.

What size monitor are you wanting?

The Dell 2209WA is arguably the best 22" monitor out there.

If you live near a Micro Center you can get $50 off the i5 750 ($149.99)

And as MattNo5ss said you can get a cheaper mobo if you dont need multi-gpu... there is this $99.99 on Newegg ($85 after rebate) ::

Code:
[url]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138160[/url]

If you can get the CPU from Microcenter and get one of the $100 motherboards, then when you add the Dell 22" monitor I think it will come out to around $950.

Back