• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build, needs a new case!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mag10

So later this year I intend to perform an upgrade to my current build, I have a Define XLR2. Honestly its a great case however has some drawbacks as well.
I will be looking to find a new case to replace my XLR2 as I will be converting that into a different project after the initial upgrade.

What I am looking for is a case that natively supports both 420 and 280 mm radiators simultaneously. Without heavy modifications this is currently nearly impossible with the current XLR2.
I would love to go with something from Caselabs however I doubt I can afford a $300+ chassis at this time or in the near future.
The only one I have found thus far is the Enthoo series from Phanteks and MAYBE(big maybe) the MasterCase 5 series from Cooler Master.
Does anyone know of any other cases currently available for this setup?
p.s. I refuse to buy Thermaltake, they left a bad taste in my mouth last time around.

Evil-Mobo

What happened with TT, I just got my X9 today, just curious if I should be looking out for any issues is all.....

OP
Mag10

Mag10

Well the case had several defects that at first were not noticeable however over time developed into a major problem namely the panels and motherboard tray. Since then I have refused to buy another products that caused me so much headache. Additionally the whole scandal with them last year (whether or not the claims were true) somewhat reinforced this feeling.

Dlaw

Cases are very much personal preference, but my 750D supports a 420 at the top and a 280 in the front or bottom. Some have complained about the front panel restricting flow, but my temps have been excellent with this case.

OP
Mag10

Mag10

Well I was looking into the 750D, as its a very nice case but Im set on that 420. As for the 900D I have considered that however that's 360 on newegg and putting it out of my range as amazing a case as it is.

Back to the 750D straight from Corsair's website:
Radiator and fan compatibility: Top: 3 x 120mm or 2 x 140mm | Front: 2 x 140mm or 2 x 120mm (2 x 140mm included) | Bottom: 2 x 120mm | Rear: 1 x 140mm or 120mm (140mm included)

In general I am not too overly concerned with 5.25" drive bays as the most I would use them for is to hide my pump/res.

OP
Mag10

Mag10

Well it seems my only way out is to mod my XLR2 for that support :/

Dlaw

Well I was looking into the 750D, as its a very nice case but Im set on that 420. As for the 900D I have considered that however that's 360 on newegg and putting it out of my range as amazing a case as it is.

Back to the 750D straight from Corsair's website:
Radiator and fan compatibility: Top: 3 x 120mm or 2 x 140mm | Front: 2 x 140mm or 2 x 120mm (2 x 140mm included) | Bottom: 2 x 120mm | Rear: 1 x 140mm or 120mm (140mm included)

In general I am not too overly concerned with 5.25" drive bays as the most I would use them for is to hide my pump/res.

Wanted to post back and confirm that a 420mm radiator will NOT fit at the top of a 750D without modding. You were all correct. I think what happened was I saw that the mod was actually pretty easy (just drill out the pop rivets on the 5.25" bay and you're set, pretty much), and decided on the 420 for myself.

There's always the external radiator option.

Waza

I own the Enthoo Primo and it is an awesome case for watercooling especially for the price. It is also the first case I have not managed to damage by constantly opening it up doing modification or other stupid stuff. The simplicity of the side panels and the room it has for cable management simply makes it almost idiot proof.
It has solid build quality and while mine arrived with couple broken push locks Phanteks kindly mailed me replacements along with couple extra ones ( parcel was obviously mishandled by the delivery company )
One negative about the case is that if and when you have rad on every intake like I have, you may have mildly toasty case ambient unless you have decent fans (which I don't). Dust filters are nice to have but they cause this side effect by restricting airflow.
I chose this case over 900D mainly because I don't like how the corsair case looks like and because 900D costs over twice as much while not really offering that much more rad space.

OP
Mag10

Mag10

I will keep it in mind however I would prefer spending a bit less if it could be had.