• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build No POST

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

j0hnsm1th

Ok, so I have read the stickies and they are not assisting my problem :/ .
I recently brought my new build (see sig) and today the parts came.
I plugged everything in and turned it on.

No beep.
No fan spin.

BUT the LED was on.

I removed the cmos battery and 1 stick of the ram and it booted, not sure about monitor (I didn't check) but the fan spun, though I can't remember if there were any beeps, then I turned it off, to reconnect all the cables, and it didn't boot again, have gone through this cycle 3 times, leaving the cmos battery out for maby 2 minutes ( with power cable out as well ) I am now leaving the cmos battery out for half an hour while I watch tv for a bit, hopefully this will give me some luck :/.

Does anybody have any solutions?

Thanks In Advance :)

- Jake

psionic98

Hopefully you meant all BUT one stick of memory..

You should try to restart with 1 stick of memory, 1 HD (boot drive), vid card unless you have onboard vid as well, and unplug the rest and try to post. If you do, see if it loads into windows and then turn it off. If it boots, add in another stick of ram until its all in and booting. Then if it boots with all the ram start adding components back in until it stops.. most likely you will find out which part is stopping the process.

If it doesnt post but beeps with the bare minimums attached pay attention to the beeps.. if you hear more than 1 beep you might have mobo issue, but report it back here so people can spot check for you.

OP
j0hnsm1th

j0hnsm1th

Hopefully you meant all BUT one stick of memory..

You should try to restart with 1 stick of memory, 1 HD (boot drive), vid card unless you have onboard vid as well, and unplug the rest and try to post. If you do, see if it loads into windows and then turn it off. If it boots, add in another stick of ram until its all in and booting. Then if it boots with all the ram start adding components back in until it stops.. most likely you will find out which part is stopping the process.

If it doesnt post but beeps with the bare minimums attached pay attention to the beeps.. if you hear more than 1 beep you might have mobo issue, but report it back here so people can spot check for you.

I did mean all but one stick of memory (my sig says 2 x 2Gb of 1066 ) and in my post I said I removed one stick :L but anyway I'm still having the same problem... I unplugged my IDE Dvd drive and heatsink fan spun so I thought it was that, but when I went to boot without the drive again, it repeated so its not that, same for sata HDD... this is really starting to annoy me now... been looking forward to getting it going all day... now this.... grr I am so frustrated right now... hopefully it is the powersupply? so I don't have to send the motherboard back and wait ages for it to return ::mad:

any other suggestions?

thanks

OP
j0hnsm1th

j0hnsm1th

It could be the power supply if you dont see the little light on the mobo light up when compuer is off.

Yep I am thinking this :/ hopefully it is..

You will all laugh now and be smug about your £50+ psu's when I say mine is an unbranded 500w that came with my case...

Sometimes the LED comes on, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes the heatsink spins for around 5 seconds weakly and then slows to a halt.

Could this still be the power supply even though there is a tiny sign of life?

WHAT IS THE PERCENTAGE OF THE MOBO BEING THE PROBLEM?

WHAT IS THE PERCENTAGE OF THE PSU BEING THE PROBLEM?

Either way, I think i'll hit a computer fair or ebay for a corsair 450w or something branded :p

thanks

OP
j0hnsm1th

j0hnsm1th

Do have a digitalmultimeter or access to one?

I am guessing that is an electronic power tester? my uncle probably has one, as he is a mechanic and uses tools like that, but I will probably end up getting a decent power supply anyway, there is a computer fair in london on saturday, so I will take a look and maybe get a graphics card.

what you you think it is likely to be? percentage wise?

mobo or psu?

thanks

Trap05

If you have a piece of crap trying to power that now I'm betting that's your problem

Joeteck

Retired
Oh Ok, thanks for the polite helpful response.

I know your frustrated...

Take a deep breath...

Remove everything except 1 stick of RAM. And then add one component at a time until it stops working...

Also remove the mobo, just to be sure you did not add an extra mobo post, and is shorting out your board...

What kind of PS are you using?

OP
j0hnsm1th

j0hnsm1th

I know your frustrated...

Take a deep breath...

Remove everything except 1 stick of RAM. And then add one component at a time until it stops working...

Also remove the mobo, just to be sure you did not add an extra mobo post, and is shorting out your board...

What kind of PS are you using?

I have done the RAM already, i'm using an unbranded power supply, and and i'm not sure what you mean by adding an extra mobo post?

Trap05

Even the low end brand power supplies have a label on them. What does yours say?

OP
j0hnsm1th

j0hnsm1th

Correct. This is more common than anyone thinks... Just a thought... Can you take pictures of your problem?

EDIT: Is this your PS?

yes that is a similar psu to mine, just the 400w though, mine is 550, what do you mean by the standoffs? not all of my screws fit the motherboard to the case plate, as they do not reach, i know what standoffs are but how can the affect it? should i try and insulate all metal contact between motherboard and case?

thanks for this

Joeteck

Retired
yes that is a similar psu to mine, just the 400w though, mine is 550, what do you mean by the standoffs? not all of my screws fit the motherboard to the case plate, as they do not reach, i know what standoffs are but how can the affect it? should i try and insulate all metal contact between motherboard and case?

thanks for this

It would suck if your mobo is shorting out to the case and causing all your heartache. Would it be too much of a pain to remove it to check it?

OP
j0hnsm1th

j0hnsm1th

It would suck if your mobo is shorting out to the case and causing all your heartache. Would it be too much of a pain to remove it to check it?

YOU SIR ARE GOD,

lol I feel so dumb right now, but I am posting this from my new system woooo thank you so much mate, helped me out there :)

thanksss :D

Deathhorse

good stuff

the same thing happened to me after about 2 hours of fiddling with stuff i found out i needed one more standoff. lol man was i cussing i blamed frys for there cheap psu. When it was really me :beer: