• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new build, q6600 or q9300? will oc 3ghz+?!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Falseprophet

I am ordering a new system the first of the week. I am looking for oppinions. MOBO I was looking at were; abit ip35pro, foxconn mars, or something cool from asus about $250ish. so far I have decided on EVGA 780i mobo, CORSAIR 620w PSU, 8800 ish gfx card, but still looking for the right card. unless there are good reasons to get different. I will be overclocking to a min of 3.0ghz+ . I was set on the 1066fsb 65nm Q6600 GO @ $235 newegg, just wanted to make sure I got a GO stepping. then I noticed the 1333 fsb Q9300 45nm for $280. I like the idea of the better FSB. but I dont know how well the chips are compaired to the Q6600 for OC and if I should get the Q9300. I will OC to 3ghz+ what do you guys think. and I still need ideas for the MEM and HSF for AIR cooling. untill I can upgrade to LIQUID cooling.

Last edited:

=ACID RAIN=

I am ordering a new system the first of the week. I am looking for oppinions. MOBO I was looking at were; abit ip35pro, foxconn mars, or something cool from asus about $250ish. so far I have decided on EVGA 780i mobo, CORSAIR 620w PSU, 8800 ish gfx card, but still looking for the right card. unless there are good reasons to get different. I will be overclocking to a min of 3.0ghz+ . I was set on the 1066fsb 65nm Q6600 GO @ $235 newegg, just wanted to make sure I got a GO stepping. then I noticed the 1333 fsb Q9300 45nm for $280. I like the idea of the better FSB. but I dont know how well the chips are compaired to the Q6600 for OC and if I should get the Q9300. I will OC to 3ghz+ what do you guys think. and I still need ideas for the MEM and HSF for AIR cooling. untill I can upgrade to LIQUID cooling.

As much as I love my Q6600, I would say get the Q9300. It brings about a 5% performance increase due to new die, and overclocks nice and cool from what I read.

If you get the Q6600, power leakage will be higher (alot higher) and it will overclock higher, but it will also be much hotter.

If your goal is around 3GHz, then the Q9300 is your baby :)

Last edited:

fallengt

Registered
Q6600 IMO
Q9300 2x3MB L2 Cache vs Q6600 2x4MB L2 Cache

Although Q9300 run at stock 2,5GHZ but only has 7,5 multipiler which mean if you want get to 3,6GHZ ,your mobo must afford nearly 500FSB .

45nm surely give better performance but if you want to OC your system then q6600 is the better choice.
Why not get Core 2 Quad Q9450 instead ?

ou_phidelt

I vote for the Q6600 as well. The 7.5 multiplier kills the Q9300. Not to mention the castrated cache. If you are sure you would be happy at 3.0 either of them would work. 3.2 on an Nvidia board may be hit or miss with the 9300 but should be doable on an Intel chipset.

To me Q6600 is still the best quad for the dollar.

=ACID RAIN=

That cache seems to mean very little. There is a 5% performance increase nearly across the board for the Q9300 DESPITE the cache. Hardly castrated at 6MB, please. It aint a celeron ;)

For the speed he wants, the Q9300 would easily make it, run cooler, and be faster clock for clock.

OP
Falseprophet

Falseprophet

Thank you all. I am wondering if I should second guess the MOBO choice, EVGA 780i, I dont mind spending $200-$250 +/-... I dont really have any need for crossfire though, as I am going with an 8800 video card. so I would like something that supports SLI in case I decide to get a second card later.

I have not really been a fan of the ABIT boards, perhaps I just dont know that much about them. My roommate said their reviews were awsome, he was refering to the IP35PRO.
I have had several high end ASUS boards including the 462 A7N266-e which came out at over $200 first to have onboard geForce2 graphics and an AGP. my p[roblems with asus have been dead onboard LAN & USB when they were in the same housing.

I have been told to get the p35 chipset boards because they are better and more mature and tried and tested. I could be wrong but I thought they did not support SLI ???

ps, I should probably continue this in the MOBO section., as i am in CPU at the moment.

=ACID RAIN=

Mobo section yes, but for a quick answer you are right, P35 does not support SLi. eVGA is a great brand to consider as well, not sure on the their 780i though.

LilBuddy

The EVGA 780i is a good board but not a killer overclocker. If you aren't going to do SLI now I'd just get a P35 board until you want to do the SLI.

moto211

i second the P35 thought. i have the IP-35Pro that you mentioned and its a great board. SLI is really a now or never kind of thing. if your not in a position to get two cards now or very soon, there's isn't much point. if the plan is to wait, you'd be better off taking the money that you would spend on the second card and adding that to the money you would get from selling your current card and use the money to get one better card. in addition, that IP-35Pro would save you some money that can be put towards other hardware.

ou_phidelt

i second the P35 thought. i have the IP-35Pro that you mentioned and its a great board. SLI is really a now or never kind of thing. if your not in a position to get two cards now or very soon, there's isn't much point. if the plan is to wait, you'd be better off taking the money that you would spend on the second card and adding that to the money you would get from selling your current card and use the money to get one better card. in addition, that IP-35Pro would save you some money that can be put towards other hardware.

I second this opinion. If you are not going to go SLI off the bat you probably never will. By the time most people with those thoughts go to get a second card they end up getting a single, newer generation card. In the meantime you are stuck with a board that does not OC as well.(Granted if the highest you ever want to go is 3.0 you would probably be alright with a 780)

Go with a P35 chipset and save some cash and get a better OC. I have used the IP35 Pro in the past and I loved it. If it hadn't been for me moving to a matx rig I would still be using it.

prime81

CPU wise, the Q9300 is going to be your best option for 3-3.2ghz. I'm actually debating getting one myself, but I may still wait for Q3 and the Q9650.

The ASUS Maximus Formula was just phased out with the introduction of the Rampage Formula. Although these are not SLI boards, they provide excellent overclocking. ATi is also fixing to really put the hammer down on nvidia... nvidia's 9800gx2 is already a complete failure as was nvidia's previous attempt at a dual GPU solution. Meanwhile companies like ASUS are already releasing triple GPU cards comprised of ATi technology. What does this mean? If your an nvidia fan, nothing... but if you want the best technology and ability to run crossfireX, you gotta have a CFX capable board.

On a side note if you can find a Maximus Formula, it can be flashed to the Rampage Formula bios which has many more fine tuning options for overclocking. I have done this mod and it works flawlessly. If you can find one ... grab a Maximus Formula S.E. which comes with a Fusion NB block. Which is what I currently have, so I guess I have a Rampage Formula S.E.?