• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build Question: First time Custom Loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gunsmyth

Hey there, i just finished up my new rig a few days ago, Ryzen 7 1800x CPU being cooled by EKWB P360 Cooling Kit. The CPU is the only waterblock on the system currently. Im currently tweaking with the bios on the fans and such, my question though is this: Does anyone know any optimum pump and fan RPM settings for the cooling loop, perhaps a rule of thumb ratio for fan rpm to pump rpm? I would like to find the best baseline for my rig before i begin overclocking. Thanks

I've seen testing done on that. Contrary to popular belief turning the pump up unnecessarily high can actually be counterproductive with regard to temps because the harder the pump works the warmer it gets and puts that heat right into the water loop. I doubt it would have a lot of real impact on temps, however. And it's probably different for every system with different size radiators and different pumps so I'm not sure you can do anything but generalize. My reservoir is in line rather than mounted on the pump and I adjust the pump RPM to the point where I can just see a little agitation as the coolant returns to the reservoir. I wouldn't obsess over it. Just find a happy medium where your flow is not sluggish but pump and fan noise is not objectionable. Something you can live with.

Back