• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build, troubleshooting CPU temps.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mizzery

I just put a new build together and am getting rather high CPU load temps. GPU temps seem fine under load (45c) but on loading within 15seconds or so the CPU temp jumps over 20C (30c or more within a minute)- that has to be bad block contact right? Block is Alphacool EISblox XPX and CPU is a 1700x.

I just put a new build together and am getting rather high CPU load temps. GPU temps seem fine under load (45c) but on loading within 15seconds or so the CPU temp jumps over 20C (30c or more within a minute)- that has to be bad block contact right? Block is Alphacool EISblox XPX and CPU is a 1700x.

If you mean the the temps rise under a load. They should plateau. That’s the temp I would worry about. If they keep rising there is a issue.

My cpu does this whenever I put a load on. It will turbo/boost to the overclock raising the temperatures.

My 1700 is on a wraith air cooler Max temp is 50c under a gaming load.

I would suggest reseating the block. And checking temps again. It doesn’t take long and wouldn’t hurt to double check thermal paste application. I doubt there is a issue with the block contact.

I just reseated the block, and tested again. If I start folding, its almost a 30c jump (32 idle - 62 load within 20 seconds). That just seems like a lot. Then as coolant warms up it will slowly rise a bit beyond that.

EDIT: been reading up on 1700x load temps, and maybe this is somewhat normal?

Last edited:
Can you show us pics of the interior of your case so we can see how things are installed?

280+120 is the bare minimum for a CPU+GPU loop.

I would add at least a 120 in the loop.

The 30c jump is normal. If there were any issue with block/seating, CPU temp would skyrocket well above that.

For a reason I ignore, GPU's under water stay much cooler than CPU's (maybe due to DIE size?), So you won't see such a difference between idling and on load.

I unfortunately don't have any more space for another radiator in the case. I do plan on getting more aggressive fans for the front radiator, as the airflow is low even at max fan speed on those. My thinking is that more radiator or fan would help more as the coolant gets heat soaked rather than with the immediate jump i'm seeing. Here is a picture of the setup (sorry for the link, i kept getting logged out trying to attach the image):

I dont see an image....

I also don't see a problem here at all honestly. You're behavior in the first and 4th post is normal.

Cpus will, regardless of ambient cooling methods, rise quickly/instantly and level out. Adding more radiator may help peak temps in the long run, but again, I see nothing wrong here at all.

I dont see an image....

I also don't see a problem here at all honestly. You're behavior in the first and 4th post is normal.

Sorry was having trouble with the image upload so put a link instead. Maybe I just had unrealistic expectations about what the load temp would be.

Maybe I just had unrealistic expectations about what the load temp would be.
I'm thinking so. This is typical behavior of CPU under air or water really. Temps spike pretty instantly then will go up slowly (assuming the same load, some stress tests do switch loads) as the water temperature/heatsink saturates.

What are you testing as a 'load' for the CPU? 62C is great!!!

Sorry was having trouble with the image upload so put a link instead. Maybe I just had unrealistic expectations about what the load temp would be.

Images will be rejected if they exceed a certain size. When I take a pic with my 12mp cameral, I find I have to resample them to create a file size that fits within the forum's file attachment size limitation. Irfanview is a free and effective app for doing this.

Back